To ROON or not to ROON ?

I have read a lot about upgrades from a blue sound vault of which I have. I have considered the rose, aurender, among others. The first question I have is Roon worth having ? I am a qobuz subscriber and wonder if Roon will make a substantial difference. As far as I know Aurender does not support Roon. Anyone with Room experience ?

THX for the feedback

fullerco

Showing 1 response by jji666

Roon is wonderful, WHEN IT WORKS.  I am on my 6th year of using Roon and I've built my system around it so I am definitely a heavy user and a pretty big fan of the software.

However, while this happens with all software I'm sure, there is a pretty large group of Roon users that have a strong love/hate relationship with Roon.  That's because (1) it is not always stable/it doesn't run that well on lower end hardware even though it may fit within their system requirements; (2) the Roon team has their own strongly held design philosophy that excludes a number of use cases that will never be addressed (no folder access to a local collection); and  (3) Roon's update rollouts are often sh*t shows.  I've never had a serious issue with an update, but several have created havoc if you read their forums.

Roon also doesn't meet all of its promises - it's only a whole house audio solution if you live alone or can share a library with all inhabitants; their library management work is far from complete (try using a box set on Roon); and they seem to be focused on streamers more than local library folks these days (I know...dying breed).

I guess my point is that Roon is high reward but potentially high maintenance and possible high frustration at times.  Depends on how much control you want - i.e. J River and Foobar 2000 gave you lots of control but not a lot of sophistication.  Roon is sophisticated, but they're in the driver's seat and they always will be.

Definitely try it out.