To Fuse or Not to Fuse... That is the question!

Ok.. I think I understand that no fuse is better than a cheap fuse. And a good fuse is better than a cheap fuse. But is no fuse better than the best fuse?

One person on Audiogon said that he achieved better sound by using a Blue fuse over no fuse. I guess my question is... Do these new, high dollar fuses just allow the current to flow better with solid protection or do they actually due to quantum physics or something, actually improve upon the signal by eliminating errant bad electrons and thereby actually improving the music over no fuse at all?

I gots to know!

captaindidactic
Whether you remember writing them or not 332, sorry Geoff Kait, those are, and were YOUR exact words. Claim all you want that those are not your exact words, but they are.

geoffkait17,732 posts10-13-2019 7:51amibmjunkman
OK, I am totally confused. You guys saying you use these fuses in AC circuits?

From their web site:
A: Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse. If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed. This is the correct way.

I thought AC changed directions 60 times a second?

>>>>>Thanks for bringing that up. Actually most audio fuses happen to be in AC circuits. It’s true current changes direction on the wire according to where the fuse is located. If the fuse is located where power comes into the CD player, preamp or amp or whatever it changes 60 times per second. But if the fuse is located in the speaker the current changes according to frequencies of the audio waveform. Thus the current at the fuse in the speaker changes 20 to 20,000 times per second - or more or less. If the fuse is in a DC circuit obviously current is unidirectional.

You can ignore the current traveling in the direction away from the speakers, I.e., toward the wall, since that direction of current flow is not (rpt not) audible. The only direction that’s audible for any wire is the one toward the speakers. It is the speakers that ultimately produce the sound you hear. So, it’s the “quality” of the current traveling toward the speakers that is the issue. That’s why fuses sound better in one direction, worse in the other direction in AC circuits and DC circuits. As Old Blue Eyes sez, that’s life.

332, I follow just fine.

You were wrong.

I proved your were wrong.

Now you are claiming you didn't say the things you clearly said,

There is no way to twist what you said and claim you meant something else. There is complete clarity in what you wrote.

Bye
I learned what Thermotron chamber is. Good job everybody. Especially me.

At the same time, geoffkait, do I have to go through reality check of those impressive fuse numbers every six months? 100 000 fuses sold equals 10 000 -15 000 buyers, at best. Easily 5000 but I am a generous kind. It is overly enthusiastic to call it "the world". It is a number of inhabitants of some large residential building.

It is obvious from these threads that fuse-believers are very dedicated crowd. Which one of them bought only one fuse and then gave up?
How can you prove I’m wrong when your evidence is wrong? Besides it’s only evidence. My evidence is only evidence, too. Even if your evidence was correct, which it isn’t, it’s still only evidence. You need to study up on the difference between evidence and proof a little bit. The best you can hope for is to sway some newbie’s opinion. Which most likely you didn’t if he was paying attention. In the end it’s only a little game since every audiophile and his brother knows that fuses are directional. And the advanced audiophiles know all wire is directional. I did not invent reality. Good luck in your quest to prove reality wrong. To summarize, your debating technique of misquoting me, misinterpreting me and presenting incorrect evidence of your own was ineffective.