TO BE OR NOT TO BE the user of a record clamp

I'm going to open a new can of worms that will make you sure, I just can't hear.  Please give me good reasons to use a record clamp.  I have seen them advertised for thousands of dollars.  The best reason I've heard so far is that a certain type will drain any electo-static energy from your LP.
My records are not warped, except for an occasional waver on some when looking at record level at the outer most portion of the it, and those are far and few between.  Even then, the clamp has no affect,on flattening out the record.  I can see where they may be very useful, when playing a warped LP, but other than that, I see no reason for it's use.  I can see where it makes a good solid connection to the platter.  I don't have any slip, when the record is playing.  Maybe I have it, but just can't see it.  Are they like seat belts on a car?  Better to use them than not?  Are they like a properly mounted speaker.  It needs to be very solid?  I can understand that.  The record more or less becomes part of the platter.  They become as one.  Be sure to read this last part, because as I'm writing this, I can see where it can actually makes the platter solidly attached to the record.  I think I just answered my own question.  But thousands of dollars for a clamp?  I have talked to several people, trying to explain how tweeks, not matter how small, add them all together an wow.
handymann

Showing 1 response by spotcheckbilly12345

I own several warped old (but kinda rare) LP's that are very difficult to replace. I use a lightweight Michell record clamp when listening to these LP's. This clamp, when used correctly, allows me to enjoy them when they were unplayable before using the clamp. For an investment of about $50 the Michell is well worth it. Otherwise, I do not use a clamp or record weight (I also own a Bren1 weight, but it hardly sees any use).

I believe that the use of a weight or clamp depends on things like system synergy (does it play well with your 'table, etc?) and the condition of your LP's.

Cheers,
              SB