Tidal vs. Spotify

Tidal sounds better for sure. Search functions aren't as good as Spotify but if you are currently using Spotify, give Tidal a try and let me know what you think!
128x128b_limo

Showing 5 responses by jon2020

Not at all, ghosthouse. Quite the contrary. I am actually curious as to how the 2 methods compare. :)
I am now listening to basic Spotify with Windows upscaling everything to 24/192 before outputting via USB to my iFi USB-spdif converter and thence to the coax input of the Esoteric K-01 player which is 24/192 capable. 

I have no idea how Windows does the upscaling but the sound is indeed stunning!
For those interested to try this, right click the sound icon on the taskbar -> Playback devices -> select your USB device -> 'Properties' tab -> 'Advanced' tab -> scroll down and select 24 bit/192 kHz(studio quality).

Enjoy! J. :)
Ghosthouse,
I used to have the iFi USB power that separates the power from the signal via a bihedral cable like yours until it crapped out. I guess it's time to get a new one after this recent experiment. 
I will try your method of letting the dac do the upsampling work and see how that compares with Windows.

Tried both and it was no contest. Inputting the native Spotify signal to the dac followed by upsampling wins hands down.
Guess Windows was doing a hack job of digital upscaling. :)
Ghosthouse, thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.
The Jazz for Autumn playlist is what I have been listening to for my recent experiment.
It's interesting that Spotify does indeed sound like redbook quality.