Threshold T-200. Help me choose a preamplifier

Good day, Colleagues!
Not so long ago, at an auction in Japan, I accidentally won the Threshold T-200 amplifier. I really wanted this brand, but I was looking for the T-800D model. But it turned out to buy this amplifier ... And now I am very tormented with the choice.
I spent two days on the internet looking for balanced amplifiers. Here is a list, is there anything on this list worth seeing?
Pass Labs X1 - 
This preamplifier is sold in Russia at a very good price, it seems to me. 1800 dollars. But I do not know his condition. The photographs show that the cable that connects the power supply and the preamplifier itself is frayed. And the power supply is not complete, but a small black box.
Pass Labs X2.5 - I found this preamp for 2000 euros in Croatia, but shipping will cost around 500 euros, so it is already very expensive for me. 
Black Ice F-360 - A very interesting preamplifier. The ad suggests that this preamp has very high detail and can expand the scene. :) But I don't believe in advertisements.
Leema Acoustics Pyxis ll -  This amplifier is quite expensive, I found it in my country for $ 2500 and this is a showcase sample. It has an impressive range of features, there is a phono stage, which I also need, and balanced inputs and outputs.
Electrocompaniet ec 4.7
Electrocompaniet EC 4.8
Krell KSL-2
Audia Flight Pre
Quad Artera Pre
Rotel RC-5000
Audio research LS-15
audio research LS-2B
Spectron Model 10
Audio research LS 17
BAT VK-30
McIntosh C2200 - But this is already very dear to me.

I really look forward to your help and advice in choosing.

vetusto

Showing 13 responses by unsound

In addition to what has already been posted regarding who designed the “T” series Threshold gear, I’d like to add that the Pass Labs pre’s are designed by Pass Lab’s co-owner Wayne Colburn.
@vetuso. What I posted, is that the “balanced” output of the Pass would not be good with the “balanced” inputs of the Threshold. And, that the balanced circuitry was part of the expense of the Pass. As has been pointed, out while a pre with a suitably low balanced output impedance could work nicely, such beasts are rare. You might be better off finding a single ended only pre. While transistor output devices have become rather rugged for 50 years now, should your somewhat old Threshold’s somewhat unusual IGBT devices fail, you might have a Dickens of a time finding replacement parts. You might have to scrap the amp, or do a total rebuild with different transistors. As it is, if not already done so, the caps will be soon due for replacement.
@vetusto, Not rude at all. My suggestion to sell, was in part due to system complications, but mostly because this 25 year old(?) amp could be a maintenance challenge.
The 10 to 1 is a minimum guide (but a
 time proven, good one) not a hard rule. With that said these T series products have a few questionable technical attributes for both amps and pres. 
@vetusto, Within the right applications balanced can have its advantages, but there’s much more to consider. I’m not sure what speakers your trying to drive, or for that matter what your sources are, but perhaps you should sell the Threshold and consider other options?
@vetusto, No need to apologize. Stupid would be not asking, when doing so would provide the answer.
OP = original poster: you.
Those Levinson pieces should work just fine. In their day they were considered amongst the best. Personally I’d be wary of old micro-processor controlled units, and though it might not be a real concern for you in Russia, the new mark Levinson owners don’t have the best reputation for customer support.
@vetusto, I would not agree that Japanese audio tech is more reliable than U.S.. Components like capacitors typically last at least as long as about 25 years, give or take, and might last many more… or not. One would want to replace them before they fail and potentially cause further problems. Sort of like replacing automobile tires, better to replace them when they’re worn, rather than when they fail. Those  IBGT transistors are about as common as hens teeth.
@vestusto, the above mentioned  Levinson pres have micro-processor controls for user controls such as volume, balance, source selection, communication with other Levinson gear, etc. It is not Class D in the audio domain. As this is not done in a simple typical manner it might make parts and labor tricky, should it need servicing. I can’t speak to all the other pres out there.
Interestingly, at one point in time Jeff Rowland subscribed to a rather unique perspective that pres and amps should be connected via a power transfer that eschewed the standard 10 to 1 typical impedance transfer. I think he later abandoned that concept; perhaps due to compatibility concerns. I don’t believe this to be cause for concern for you.