Thread source for Loricraft RCM's;also seeking f/b

Replacement thread for the Loricraft and Keith Monks RCM's can be expensive or difficult to obtain. The original British-made thread is no longer available. Gudebrod is becoming scarce. I found some at shofftackle.com . Their website says that not all colours are available. Make sure you get non-NCP and size D. Shoff's catalogue # is 524D . I have run a few hundred LP's through my PRC4 with this thread and it has worked fine. A couple of 450 yd. spools should last you a lifetime.

Cabelas.com no longer carries Gudebrod thread and their current nylon non-NCP thread is only available up to size C. I don't know if it will work. Size A WILL NOT WORK!

On a related topic, I've had my PRC4 for almost 2 years and consider myself a heavy user with about 3000 albums processed. While I am currently very pleased with the performance of this RCM it was a long painful journey to get there. Fortunately it only cost me a couple of moderately valuable albums. I would be interested in hearing from other Loricraft owners about how much work they have had to do to their machines to get them working properly. The reviews I have read all imply the machines are plug and play. That is not my experience at all. BTW, my machine came from the manufacturer.

Spread the word - for anyone with a large LP collection a RCM is a necessity, not a luxury. Cheers. Al
fjferal
Fjferal,

I also noticed that slight marking of some LP's when my PRC3 was new (6-7 years ago). A tip from someone here to reduce "VTF" to zero eliminated the problem on my machine. You obviously had to do more, but at a minimum I think LC should revise the operating instructions. Downforce on the arm is not required for effective cleaning. The vacuum alone provides all the contact that's needed.

Peter,
Interesting car analogies. My own two favorite vehicles have been a Mazda RX-8 and a Land Rover. Each a bit quirky and requiring user input, each irresistible and a superb performer once you made the effort to understand them.
I have had a PRC3 for about 5 years, cleaned 1000's of records, and have never experienced any of these issues. I know that doesn't help you now that you have struggled with and solved those problems but nobody should have to go to these lengths to make a product perform the way it is supposed to. I would simply returm it and I'm sure they would repair or replace it.

Just a note, like Doug, my arm has always been set to near zero VTF. No idea if that's the solution.
experiences with my PRC-3......

I have a couple of issues with my Loricraft that I don't believe have been mentioned here. If anyone has any advice on how to fix these issues, please let me know. And yes, I've followed and tried Doug's various tips.

1) Once the armwand is lowered to the record, a large (1" length?) amount of thread gets pulled back on to the record surface from the armwand. The vacuum suction doesn't appear to be strong enough to overcome the drag of the record surface / thread and the thread gets pulled out of the armwand/plastic tubing. Once the armwand is raised from the record surface, the thread gets sucked back into the plastic tubing.

Candidly, I'm not too bothered since the thread is still providing the necessary gap between the tip and the record surface. However, the fact that the thread is being pulled out of the armwand means that the chemicals from the previous wash/rinse cycle are now being mixed with the current cleaning (however minutely).

2) Occasionally, the thread "gets stuck" when exposing new thread (by rotating the spool) and needs manual persuasion by gently pulling the thread at the armwand tip for it to function properly.

One more thing: There is frequently a tiny amount of liquid left on the record surface after cleaning. Is this a sign that my vacuum pump isn't working to its full capabilities?
Ckniker,

I have a couple of suggestions that might help.

Problem #1: I have seen this on my PRC-4 only a couple of times in two years. I think it is new thread coming from the dry tube leading to the spool end, not used thread coming back out of the wet tube leading to the jar. I put a very small rubber washer on top of the thread spool spindle to create friction which prevents the spool from spinning easily/freely. This has prevented thread from coming out too fast. I just moved the rubber washer to the bottom of the spool. Works great.

Problem #2: This happens to mine very seldom. When it does it usually means the used thread is stuck in the wet waste tube due to friction or bunched up at the tube end just before entering the waste jar. I simple leave my pump/suction on as I apply fluid which means about 30 sec after the vacuum cycle is complete. This dries out the waste tube and the used thread, so it is less likely to stick to the brass or plastic tubing.

As far as your last concern about moisture on the record surface: do you mean a very thin layer of moisture covering the whole side, or some drops on the outer edge/rim of the LP or something else? The former has never happened to me and would concern me. The latter rarely happen, but if they do, I use a lint free cloth to wipe it up off the rim which the nozzle can't really reach, or I repeat the vacuum step for the small section that doesn't get completely dry, usually a very thin line 1/4" in from the rim. For my final rinse step, I start the wand at the outer edge like when playing a record. It travels to the label and then I pick up the arm wand and repeat from the label to outer edge, effectively getting it in both directions and twice the dry time. There does not seem to be any moisture left when that step is complete.
I would just email Loricraft for the threat. They couldn't be nicer. I ordered a spool and a brass fitting for the nose to rest in and it got here (California) pretty fast.