Thorens TD 124 or TD 125 MK.

I recently attended an E-state sale. The owner who had passed.
I guess was somewhat of an Audiophile at least back in the 60s and 70’S as his setup dated based on the gear.
Model 7 Pre-amp with (2) Marantz Model 9 EL 34 tube mono amps.
Plus his 2 turntables which I bought.
QUESTION?? Please from high mileage analog stewards only on which one to keep and R/B..

tubes444

Showing 1 response by br3098

Which model Thorens vintage turntable you keep is entirely your call. Assuming you have played both, which do you prefer or like best?

I'm a TD-124 guy. It's the swiss watch of turntables, which is both good and bad. Good in that when restored and set up properly it sounds (and looks) sublime. Bad in that it takes a lot of patience and, often, $$$ to get it to sound it's best.

The TD-125 was a nod to a simpler, much less expensive to produce design than the TD-124. It's an OK deck but is nothing special. My opinion only, and there are many who will disagree with me. I have owned and restored TD-124s for over 30 years and have owned a couple of TD-125s. There is no upgrade or amount of work you can perform on a TD-125 that will get it anywhere close to the sound of a properly restored TD-124. Again IMO.

It's like comparing a 1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL to a 1960 VW Bug. Both classics. Both cars. Both get you where you want to go. If you could only keep one, which one would it be?