Thorens 160 motor fix or replace?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been addresses elsewhere. I searched and don't find anything, so....

The motor on my Thorens 160 is not working properly. The pulley has an irregular motion which leads to a faint "beating" or "knocking" sound. In another forum, someone suggested that the spindle might be bent. Could that be possible? I see there are "motor repair kits" for sale that require you to super glue a small piece to the bottom of a the motor. I'm not sure that would do anything and am afraid of super glueing anything. 

I wish I could upload a video to show. But, if anyone has any experience with either fixing a Thorens motor with this kind of issue I would appreciate any thoughts.

Alternatively, if anyone has any experience replacing a motor with something newer, I'd appreciate any info on that.

Thanks

nycbass

Sounds like the thrust bearing is worn, which is a common problem with old Thorens motors. See this Audiokarma thread for further advice on this issue:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stopping-thorens-td-160-motor-from-knocking.602461/

Basically a thrust bearing replacement kit is required. These are available online. Hope this helps and avoids you having to purchase a new motor.

I don't have a specific answer for you, but I've always found this site helpful.

https://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_td_160_dept_.htm

Perhaps you can find some useful info there, or at least maybe Steve Clarke (webmaster) might have some insight for you.

I would tend to agree with pesky_w. You could always upload a video to youtube and post a link. Thanks for that info hoytis.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. Much appreciated.  I'll look into a spindle support kit. Sounds like a good/cheap option to try first.

I really liked my 160.  I currently use a Dual 1229 with a Grace 747 tonearm. The Dual motor is bullet proof.. but if you love the Thorens  look for either a donor motor or have one fitted. The motor from an LP12 could be use as an example and can be purchased new. A competent repair shop should be able to handle the retrofit easily.

The Thorens is a really nice table.  I’d keep it..

N.