Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Showing 39 responses by tomic601

yyzzsantabarbara......I could deliver a nice pair of cherry 2.3 to you on my way South in October, just for grins....Mods don’t over rotate on this....
I worked at a Thiel dealer in 1978/1979, so right you are Tom...people hear it or they don’t and first order slopes are difficult and require a lot of innovation and work. I also eventually worked selling Vandersteen and Dunlavey and of course others, many others.... I own a minty pair of Thiel and a couple pair of Vandersteen today - last man standing but with a succession plan, my hope is it works - they are certainly a small family centered business.
trade secret and move fast is a better strategy than patents for sure.
wishing you all the best in 2020!!!!
@beetlemania

Certainly a valid question to ponder, for any small business reliant on the founders combination of drive, passion, technical and innovative chops needed to thrive...

I can assure you that Richard Vandersteen and I have had that exact conversation in some detail / I consider him a friend, peer and also a mentor in many things. His is a family business with son and daughter playing important roles. Nathan was the innovator behind subtle but effective innovation in the model 7 mk2. While I enjoy them immensely, I don’t expect them to be the end of the line.

i spent a career in high technology manufacturing and program management, always willing to help small firms in any way I can. All the best!
jim

c
@jafant i have had the 5se a long time, 2011 I think.... I am fortunate to have it.
On JA, just read any of his Vandersteen measurements from the 7 to Quatro to Kento ... and the power amps.... I have the same frustration with him, oh well
On Jim T’s room dimensions, great bit of history but frankly ( and Vandersteen s Room is even bigger ) why the developer must also include smaller rooms or EQ in the bass, but is is essential to use the larger more perfect room to push the limits !!!!!
Several thoughts, will try to parse a bit...

reminder I have a pair of 2.3+
Yes, Charlie at Ayre a brilliant designer and EE with ears, to wit his A to D converter ( and musical recordings) and DAC with listen and measure filters ( a fantastic poke in the eye to those obsessed with measuring the wrong things), yes his SS amps some of the best, TomT the old 100 watt amp very affordable used, getting long in tooth for sure but still quite musical 
On high passing, it’s an unfair advantage.... try it some time.... but use a first order filter with  a Roger M designed Beveridge box

What is really, really unfair is designing an amp for just the high pass and knowing the load like the back of your hand - and at two price points. 
I will post something  quasi politically correct about JA tomorrow... I suppose it’s a tightrope 
But... I did hear the Kento in a large room with the M5 amps and a Mac Tube front end..... and let me just say I have NEVER heard Mac gear image like that EVER....

Harrow & The Harvest - Tennessee, should make ya weep
How they measure is hyper important IF the art is to move forward, otherwise too much flavor chasing... to wit the latest rage of twenty tweeters and four woofers in a flexible resonant box.... what a headache
@thielrules I have a pair of 2.3 in Seattle he can have access to
get me in touch
jim
@sdecker agree :-) so few home audiophiles have an spl meter and a DMM and test tones for level matching, so lots of tail chasing going on
@solobone22  I went the ARC route ( REF5SE but the Aesthetix has it’s many virtues. I have Jim Whites DAC. 
Jim
@tomt one recent development I am quite excited about is a German laser scanning machine for evaluation of drivers pistonic behavior- excellent Vandersteen video of two drivers side by side test results.... lots of out of phase trash in the pass band on the comparison driver. I mention this because I believe this is a key key way to move the art forward- we need more pistonic AND affordable drivers!!!!!
the scan costs $500
Tom autoclave cure ? How much does a 5” skin weigh ? What modulus fiber ? How very exciting

it astounds me that every speaker designer does not care about pistonic...

oh well
IMO the Kimbers , Audioquest and Cardas pair well with both Thiel and Vandersteen. The Canare in a shotgun biwire with good connections is also an extraordinary value.

Tom - I believe it was the only place that happened. i worked at Audio Connection a Thiel dealer and then  at Progressive Audio a Vandy dealer, both in Ohio. I know Curtis after his split w Dick and move to Tacoma. I agree, Dick was both a gifted listener and erudite explainer of the complex. His writings ( Perfectionist Journal ) are archived and hosted on the Vandy site. Yes, unfortunately the good often die young… a deep loss. Grace and peace upon you.

Jim

@tomthiel I certainly appreciate your efforts here and in service of Thiel over the many years. Maybe you remember Jim’s trip with Dick Hardesty and Richard Vandersteen to Catalina Island ? RV remembers that trip w fondness. Best to you. I hope you regain a workspace soon.

Jim

Charlie had it right. he used Vandy model 7 to wring out his designs and RV in turn ran MXR for years while developing his M7 amplifier… of course as a 7 and 7 owner, I am biased…

i grew up in a pattern shop...the mold for the Prestone flush and fill was our baby...anything cast is part black magic...hats off to you Tom
we carried Thiel and Sansui in 1978 plus.... the Audionics BT-2 / CC2 soundly thrashed anything Sansui made. Research TIM and high NFB designs.... a time and phase correct speaker only makes high NFB worse.....
i have a pair of 2.3 in Cherry needing to find a new home in Seattle...any transaction thru Audiogon. pics in my vintage system
@jafant not a pilot, spent most of my time building airplanes, etc…. factory rat but i got plenty of flight test fun in also….
I have to say this is one of the best, most civil and productive threads on Audiogon 
I would recommend Audioquest Water as an excellent neutral copper IC. While i use AQ Silver ( Wild Blue ) in my reference system, Water is super high value in comparison.
I still have Cherry veneer 2.3. that need a home Seattle also. All sales thru Agon.
Greg picked up my 2.3 ;-) Glad they are working out so well. Time and Phase throws a big deep image, some of us find addictive - Herron power !

best to all.

Jim
Not to stir the pot ..but..interesting that KEF chose to fix phase / timing issues in the digital domain w the powered version of 50….

IF it doesn’t matter, why fix it ? I loved the low diffraction head in the now ancient Ref series…. sometimes, the engineers forget WHY…

much of DAC sound are the filters employed, especially with a time and phase correct speaker…as is the domain of the thread….

Ditto for negative feedback, etc…

I digress..

@beetlemania For sure ! Dont sell the amazing VX-R amplifier short. Mine was excellent, especially w Twenty modifications. I recently added a Sub3 with Kento grade teflon caps with DBS high pass filters to my Treo system. The high pass does amazing things for midrange clarity…more Thielists would imo greatly benefit from this approach and the filters are adjustable w built in DIP switches to hit < 80 hz if desired.

another tip for others building or modifying crossovers, log cap leads and no conformal coating and or damping = ring…ring…ring… which some ( many ? ) confuse with air or extension…

Wonder coat if available is a place to start…

best to all

Jim

The Kento are low 40’s. You get powered subs built in w 11 bands of EQ and tge 7 midrange / tweeter matched to .5 db ( the 7 is matched to .25 db ) The 7 Extreme employs Kento bass driver arrangement.  IF one were to apply some critical thinking to where Jim T would be today, you could forsee him making many of the same design and execution choices made by Vandersteen ( many people don’t have a clear understanding of the mutal respect, friendship, time spent together w Dick Hardesty ). I see Jim continuing to invest in bespoke drivers, awesome capacitors that earn way on to speaker w sonic virtue, pistonic motion, low diffraction, time and phase and tge heavy technology investment required to build an inert low coloration cabinet , add in built for the most part in USA, stir in how many years of inflation and a $50 k JT product in the market is hardy far fetched…

Just my $1.50

I miss Charlie..RIP