Theoretical question about how CD's work

Theoretically, can the contents of a CD be printed out onto sheets of paper in 1’s & 0’s, re-entered digit by digit (say, by a generous helper monkey with an infinite lifespan) into some sort of program, and the same sound will be replicated? Just trying to understand how CD’s work (though I’ve been trying for 25 years and it still seems like magic to me).
sealrock
fleschler
geoffkait: generic, thin, bass shy, brittle, honky, synthetic, congealed sound. That maybe your definition of CD reproduction, but it isn’t mine or half a dozen close friends of mine. While we all appreciate the sound of a good LP, the average classical and jazz CD well mastered is stunningly good. I have 35,000 LPs and 7,000 CDs. I wouldn’t give up any of them because of their format limitations. I have near SOTA front ends which permit me to extract superior performance from each format. Even my 78s sound more alive, dynamic and tonally rich compared to most audiophiles systems.

>>>>Fabulous! 😛
tomcy6
Geoff, I’ve noticed that you have frequently posted about the scattered light problem since you started selling a product to help eliminate this problem. There’s nothing wrong with that if you discovered a problem and came up with a solution.

>>>>That’s might generous of you.

It would be helpful to us and you, though, if you provided the evidence that shows that scattered light increases reading errors for cds that cd players don’t correct. If the evidence is simply that you hear a subjective improvement when playing cds treated with your product, it would be good to know that too.

>>>>I’m afraid you’ll have to take my word for it. I’ll leave all the measuring to someone else. I’ll even leave the subjective opinion to someone else. You may think of it as a logic puzzle.
With today's online catalogs of tracks to download, especially in high res, why would anybody still want to buy a CD? It beats me why CDs do not encode regular wav or flac files, with much more effective error correction for buffered playback. Add a state of the art reclocker after that to get jitter down to lowest possible level and a DAC to suit your taste in terms of filtering and conversion, and you are good to go! Once the CD is properly ripped it is of no big use. 
 You may think of it as a logic puzzle.

In that case,  logic tells me that you are trying to take advantage of highly suggestible people.