The return of the DIYer

I’ve been thinking about several trends and forces that are affecting our hobby and how this will change things.

The global pandemic and supply issues, unemployment and how disposable income has dwindled in the middle class over the last 30-40 years. The brick and mortar showroom is vanishing, and audio shows have become scarce. About the only aspect of the audio industry which has not dwindled or hurt as much are bloggers/review sites and DIY suppliers.

Our hobby grew up out of tinkerers and experimenters, and then seemed to have been subsumed by the all powerful consumer. The arm chair speaker or amplifier designer who could talk tech without every doing a bit of math or soldering became what we call a "true audiophile" so long as they regularly bought and sold gear.

Now though, perhaps the tables are turning. The lack of funds in many an audiophile’s pocket, lack of ability to go listen for yourself, I’d like to believe the age of the mega speaker holding the cover of audio magazines is over. I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing most mega-speakers vanish, being rarely more than excess without commensurate capabilities. Tweaked sounds, and fashionable trends in frequency alterations dominated the press and showrooms.

Is that all over? And if it is over, are we ready to return to our roots as makers instead of buyers, or are we in a temporary malaise? Nothing more than a flu from which we will bounce back? Or is the DIY er himself to vanish as well with the hobby?
erik_squires

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

I do NOT regard buying DIY kits off the shelf from a company selling those kits and building it according to the pre-designed and fabricated components such as crossover a DIY project.  Those projects are just replication of the existing design that the company has fabricated or copied from the manufacturer (hopefully does not trigger infringement of intellectual property).  The DIYers do not really design anything.  That is not a hobby but "killing time" only.  I am not sure what kind of fullfilment or satisfaction they got out of it.  The DIY company even tells you that, if you change the front panel of the speaker (for example), you need to change the design of crossover and they cannot help.  

BTW, I do consider cloning a specific speaker shape/design/pattern a infringement of interllectual property, big time.  Imagine how cloning Wilson Audio speakers of worth more than 20k, 30k and above possibly damages company's business.

Don't get me wrong. I have tremendous respect to the DIYers who has abundant knowledge about how the electronics work, crossover design, tuning the SPL to achieve optimal sound performance, etc. and I wish to become one to ultimately fabricate my own ideal speakers. I just do not think buying the kits off the shelf and building it a true DIY project. Design It Yourself not just Do It Yourself.