The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

When we are not satisfied with a system there is two possible reason:

Frustration because we detect  an acoustic defect and an unbalanced set of factors affect us in a direct way consciously... The defects is perceptible as a defect and it cause un- balance...

Then advising people to concentrate on music instead of the sound as milpai advised it is not a solution...@ellajeanelle is right about that when speaking of uncomfort in a car as a metaphor...

But because the OP said he was pleased by his system then , the other factor is the one affecting him ( i exclude OCD because we are in an audio forum not a psy forum ) is:

Boredom : when an audio system is not well under acoustic, mechanical or electrical control by the owner or if the synergy is not so good, the system can deliver a relatively seemingly balance PLEASANT sound with no apparent defects but no very powerful impact in timbre experience, in dynamic or in immersiveness... All is pleasant but a bit bland ..

The solution can be upgrading some pieces or all of them but before doing that i advise to go into experiments , acoustical one and electrical and mechanical one with what we have already and nothing is more fun... Nothing is more fun than becoming more active and creative... Buying a new piece is not always the solution... My system BEFORE my experiments was a bit bland and boring for one because of the relation between speakers/room and my second system was horrible because of the speakers design...

The solution was mechanical control of vibrations resonance, shielding cables and gear, increasing the link quality of the electrical contact , modifying my speakers porthole and tweeter and especially increasing the quality of acoustic .

Now i am if not in ectasy i am so pleased that only music matter ..Better system, way better exist but i dont give a damn because i had reach the minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold and i know it and i know how...

It's fun to mix and match and do all the connections...

You don't have a problem. You have a hobby. 

Enjoy!

milpai: I am sooo sorry to disappoint you but unfortunately, you don't merit another minute of my time with further response. 😢

When we are not satisfied with a system there is two possible reason:

Frustration...
Boredom...

Ok those are two reasons. Are there only two? How about:

It’s fun to mix and match and do all the connections...

Fun. Fun is a reason.

So now it looks like three possible reasons.

Maybe there is even a fourth! Or a fifth!

About immersiveness (or "immersion" I would call it):

A high end system in a dedicated room will do better with an improved immersiveness for sure than my low cost one. But trust me we can live with minimal immersiveness.

There is what "you" can (or have to) live with and then there is "we." I can speak for "me" and some of my audio friends. What one can "live with" is not the end point with me (or us). And many others here would probably agree that they would rather seek better sound than "live with" the minimum. To each his own but that’s my two cents.

Once I identified how to achieve immersion and excellent sound qualities, I began to hear these aspects in other sound systems. In some cases, the gear was the difference which made a difference.

To be clear, I know this is a high-priced hobby sometimes. But it doesn’t have to be. But while very expensive gear is not a magic solution to getting better sound better gear is a very important element. And long posts about acoustics and the brain don’t justify ignoring the gear factor. If I cannot afford better gear, I just admit it or try to find something used or in kit form. But gear matters when all other factors are nearly optimal.

That’s why I don’t want to settle for "minimal" satisfaction. I find it an enjoyable part of the hobby to seek better sound.

Better system, way better exist but i dont give a damn because i had reach the minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold and i know it and i know how...

Your minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold might be lower (nothing wrong wit that and good for you). However, my minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold is just very, very, very high...sky high.