The panic selling of tube audio had begun.

I think it is a bit crazy. I run tube gear sometimes 12 hours a day and hardly ever have to replace any tubes. My tube amplifiers have been mostly as reliable as stones and maybe more so than my SS gear since I've had failures with that. And none with any of the 70 or so tube amps pres etc I have owned over the last 35 years. I design loudspeakers so run my amps much and have to have a wide selection of types. Still while sad for those who panic easily it's an opportunity to pick up low priced tube kit and after a week or so I will most likely be making some lower offers on ads till I get a bite. So if thinking of selling your tube gear because you feel no more tubes ever please do so I have my eyes on a few amps maybe it will be yours.

128x128johnk

Coincidently, I was at The Tube Store today to pick up some GL  KT 77 tubes that I ordered over this past weekend. (In the last 6 weeks I have had two fizzle out on me... bummer). I was told that they had received a Month's worth of orders over that Saturday and Sunday. They were so overwhelmed, the website crashed and I had to wait 4 days to do a Pick Up of an In Stock item!

Poor website support, lack of reliable supply (Parts Connexion was all out of KT 77) or panic buying? Who knows? Whatever ... I can go back to enjoying my system.

PS... The Tube Store was great to deal with despite the delay and will use them in the future.

Fun fact: the Russian tube factory that produces Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix, EH Gold, Genalex Gold Lion, Mullard, Svetlana & Sovtek is and has been owned by American Electro Harmonix founder Mike Matthews since the 1990’s. The EHX website is an interesting read.
As Kevin Deal explains, that factory is still producing tubes and have started shipping again as American owned factories are not sanctioned. 

I was wondering if Russian tubes would get scarce for awhile. I checked a couple websites and sure enough the USA sites are either out of stock or jacked up the prices. Prices from the German tube stores are still normal and in stock. My GoldenTube SE40 has been running lovely with TungSol 7581A but they are getting a bit old so I've decided to just order a spare set now just in case.

Uncle Kevin from upscale advise Relax don’t panic, or else you will end up making a bad tube purchase decision.iagree.iam glad I kept all my ss gear.