The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

I spoke with Doug this morning about the S5.5 going into 15 ohm speakers with a sensitivity of 83 dB. He did not think it was a good pairing as it would be underpowered. He recommended the model 16 or 41 amplifier.

When I asked Doug a couple years back about the S5.5 vs the #8 he recommended the S 5.5 be paired with a higher sensitivity loudspeaker only. Since the newer version amp has the same watt/amp ratings he’s likely of the same opinion I would think. Always best to call him and make sure first…

Hey aolmrd1241,

I agree, I would always defer to the designer regarding the optimum parameters regarding their pieces of equipment. Doug always is available to get feedback on these types of questions.

As I shared above, I tried the S5.5 on pretty inefficient,  down to around 82 dB and a nominal 4 ohm rating, speakers and the amp effortlessly drove them in a relatively large space. So parameters like your acoustic space, do you listen at very high volume levels, and the speakers own unique perks are part of the equation. I have had SET amps matched with speakers at times that should have not really worked well, but they turned out to be a great sounding combo.

Teajay