The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

@hanki just for clarification, you’re Magico S5 speakers have the following specs and you don’t find the S5.5 lacking in power or bass output compared to other amps?

Sensitivity: 88dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Recommended Power: 50 watts - 1000 Watts

I have the SF Amati Traditions, which present a similar load, so I’m wondering if it might be a good match for them.

yyzs.. If you are hearing hiss from 8 feet away you must have bat ears!

My 07x is dead silent! To hear any type of noise my ear has to be 1 to 2 inches from the speaker... Did you not have a noise issue some time back with the 07x? Did Coda fix it?

The 07x and my #8 make for a powerful musical combo!

@jceahodges  and @firefly627s 

I have had the Backert Rhythm 1.3 for a couple of years, using with AGD Tempo amps. It is indeed a special preamp. And only 2 tubes. Tube rolling is affective.

I ordered a S5.5 but won't have it for a month. Then burn in. So it will be a while yet before I can comment on the pairing. I do think it will be fine though.

If you can wait and stay in contact I will let you know what I think.

@markmuse Thanks for chiming in. I'm in no particular rush, so I've definitely got the time to see all these synergy tests that are happening to come to fruition.

@markmuse 

Thank you for your helpful input. I am in no rush as well, and am definitely interested in how the Backert Rhythm/ S5.5 performs vs the Backert/AGD with the speaker(s) you have in your system. Please keep us posted. Thanks again!