the natural sound of a cymbal

i am looking for recoordings which fearure cymbals.

besides maplesahde, can anyone suggest labels or artists which produce a very natural sound of a cymbal ?

i find the sound of a cymbal a good test of the upper midrange and treble frequencies of a stereo sytem and having a recording to use to evaluate the aforrementioned frequencies is an invaluable tool when listening after changing components.

thanks for your suggestions
mrtennis

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

Are you looking for the sound of(let's say) Paiste, Sabian, Meinl, Zildjian or Wuhan? Further: If Meinl(for instance), their Classic, HCS, MCS, Candela, Generation X, etc. Series of cymbal? Every brand, and all their individual cymbal lines, will have a different sound. Unless you know what brand and series of cymbal a drummer is using, and are familiar with that particular cymbal set's sound(live); you can't know if the sound you're getting is, "natural."
A good man knows his own limitations, but IS NOT stupid enough to assume everyone else has the same. The very first recording mentioned(Sheffield Drum Record); includes in it's liner notes the differences one can hear ON THE RECORD(or CD), between the cymbals Ron Tutt is using, from those of Jim Keltner's. If YOU can't hear the differences, whether it be a result of an unresolving system, a poorly recorded set, or your own lack of aural accuity/training: Sorry about your luck, but that does not apply to everyone! The sounds and effects of various cymbals(brands and series) are NOT subtle in the least, and are easily discernable, on a decent recording(given a resolving playback system). My guess would be that most of you nay-sayers can't tell the difference between the sounds of a Crash, Crash-Ride, China, Hi-Hat, Splash or Bell cymbal LIVE, let alone on a recording.
Mr T: Another excellent recording(re: cymbals), is the original Columbia(CS8192) 'Time out'. I've still got a pressing from 1971, that captures Joe Morello's(may he rest in peace) silky Zildjian cymbals beautifully(especially on 'Take Five').