The Horror

After getting  back home from “The Show” in Costa Mesa, California this past weekend, I walked over to my stereo system and turned it on. And silently wept. I had held out a feint hope that my cross-over modified 1.7i Maggies and mighty Parasound A21+, fed from a Prima Luna 300 tube preamplifier could somehow manage a slight shimmer of resemblance to the robust setups I witnessed at the SHOW. Not—- on— your —-life. Not even close. I slumped into my over-stuffed couch and stared long and hard at the thing I created: an anemic concoction of false hopes and wishful thinking. The horror, the truth: entry into serious audiophile listening begins with purchase of speakers that cost the price of the car I had to finance for 4 years, closely followed with the added expense of beefy sophisticated electronics and wiring, not a gaggle of cheap wanna-be plastic and tweeks. I so wanted to belong, but that’s turned out to be just a fever dream I’ve got to wake up from. Maybe one day, if ever I have the nerve to rob a bank, find Jimmy Hoffa, or survive a head-on collision from a sleepy Amazon driver, I might make it. Maybe. Feel free to play the violin with two fingers.

128x128audiodidact

@audiodidact I can imagine that horror actually and would be a little afraid to do what you did and commend you on the bravery.  I think I would have waited a little while so the contrast could wear off.  lol  But then there's that little matter of truth, right?  I have a question that I hope you will answer as it relates to the whole law of diminishing returns and super expensive gear.  Which, by the way, yours is compared to mine.  Did you feel like your system sounded great before the show?  I apologize if someone else asked this.  There are a ton of posts on this one.

There’s a saying in photography (I’m a professional photographer):

Amateurs worry about their equipment,

Professionals worry about getting paid,

and Artists worry about the light.

Something very similar seems to apply in the world of “audiophilio” and in this forum:

Amateurs worry about their equipment,

Professionals worry about getting the sale,

and Music Lovers care about the emotional connection with the music.

Good post! Most everyone has experienced this at least once. Many are in clubs and share their listening room because as other have stated, room treatment is the most important thing you can do. You can't overcome it with a brand lol.
I really appreciate that for the most part you stuck to well known brands. If more followed this in their basic system there would be far fewer issues. 

An ARC pre, a class A Pass amp, and B&W, Focal, KEF (even Tekton)... or many others will sound great in most rooms treated and tuned for that system. 

Go crazy with a DAC... Lampizator, Mola Mola, Nagra...

And your TT if you want to put $50K into that. 

I loved the references to F1... Well let's take it down a few notches. Guy's that club race on weekends put all they can into theirs car. But I assure you.. The car is a proven winner. Mustang, Camaro, Porsche... But what they do with the motor and suspension makes or breaks the deal. 

I too own Maggie 1.7i’s, but powered by a Rotel 1090 amp and Musical Fidelity v90 DAC. Mamaw always told me, don’t mess around with audio heroin, there are people out there running with AV receivers and Polk speakers. Be thankful for what you have. We’re here to say it’s OK (well, most of us). Get some sleep, and I promise you the feeling will subside, given you don’t run into stupid money.

You have some excellent components!  I also have Magnepan 1.7i's in my system, and have owned other Maggies over the years.  I totally agree with the folks who indicate that you need to spend time with your setup and room. My system is in a small, dedicated listening room that contains only one chair.  I've always found Maggies to be a "one listener" speaker. I have spent literally years in my room tweaking things as basic as toe-in to optimize image specificity vs. width of soundstage.  An inch or two can make all of the difference with the setup of these speakers.   From your system photos I see some glaring issues.  For example, one of your photos shows a speaker firing directly into the side of your sectional couch with a book shelf adjacent to it piled high with books.  That's gotta be wreaking havoc with what you're receiving from that speaker in your listening position.  The speakers are also very close to reflective walls behind them.  Due to the size of my listening room, I can only have my speakers about 3 feet out from the wall, but have room treatment behind each speaker to compensate for that.  Maggies can be very tricky and frustrating to get properly set up, but when you get it right their magic is intoxicating.  Best of luck!