The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

Hello Tweak1, are you referring to  amps designed around Gallium Nitride transistors?  I have had a mono amp in my system designed around Gallium Nitride (GaN) transistors for just a few days last spring. It was a still incomplete but lovely prototype of the now released Merrill Element 118 monos. At the time, it was not fully broken in and still showed some minor artifacts. In spite of that, it showed high promise, Yet I could not get a complete idea of its performance within the limited hours of up-time.

Saluti, Guido

I have had a mono amp in my system designed around Gallium Nitride (GaN)
Which EPC "evaluation" board was this last spring? as this is the only way to get them as far as I know?

As far as I know this board is the only one EPC (using GaN transistors) that’s been released so far,
The EPC0106 at $1338.00 usd, no transistors only yet.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?%20WT.z_cid=sp_917_0110_buynow&site=us&lang=en&mpart...

https://epc-co.com/epc/Products/DemoBoards/EPC9106.aspx

Cheers George
I have an NAD C 268 class D amplifier, NO PREAMP, and mac mini DAC using 3.5 mm line out and the sound is MAGICAL and I've heard just about everything.  I think the main is reason is that there is no preamp, but for whatever reason, the sound is just incredible. 
Post removed 
One point to consider with most digital is when they fail many are not repairable.They can dump a load of current and burn your speakers depending on the protection circuitry.
Any professional repair center can keep your old systems running for life.
Retro rule in my opinion, going back to the nad 3020.That ones tone is mind blowing. Haven't found a digital which can compete.Most digital are to clean for my ear.