The extinction of human interaction takes yet another step forward...

I hate even thinking this, but as we “progress” in “society” it sure seems like each step “forward” brings us closer and closer to becoming the “Borg” from Star Trek where everything happens in your head and personal interaction becomes less necessary and thus more foreign.  I hope this stops or at least slows down at some point and the value of human interaction surfaces as something we want to preserve.  I find it sad, however, that this seems more of a hope than an eventuality the way things are going everywhere — even in audio.  Ugh.  Thoughts?

https://theavsummit.com/

soix

Showing 3 responses by tony1954

I know what you mean and although I don't want to be 100% negative, when was the last time anything in this world changed for the better?   

Remember when couples would go out to their favourite restaurant to have a nice meal, a glass or two of wine and just talk? These days you will see couples in that same restaurant, totally silent staring into their phones.   

They may as well be alone.   

Social media does not bring people together. It only broadens the gap by removing spontaneous interplay and the intimate bonding brought about by looking into someone's eyes, reading their body language and sharing emotions.    

Sadly, this is a disease of the young and as long as people are making oodles of money and remain oblivious to there even being a problem, nothing will change.   

@millercarbon     

"Ahh yes, the old we are still running around in bear skins living in caves story. Just exactly how far gone do you have to be to believe this while using your keyboard to put this on the internet?"   

My apologies I didn't think anyone would take that sentence literally. I will try to make it so the entire bell curve can understand next time.
@soix     

Excuse me for perhaps being 90% negative with that comment, but it was more for effect that a literal statement.   

My meaning was more that when something is lost, whether it is something trivial like cursive writing or something serious like racial tolerance, it is virtually impossible to regain it.   

Yes, there are technological advances that improve our lives, but they aren't all that important when compared to the slow erosion of common decency.