The black hole of component repair?

Is the repair time for components typically measured in months? I have been fortunate over the last ten years with this hobby but at the end of January I had to send an amplifier and a DVD player in for repairs. The DVD player was past warranty and had to be sent to an independent service facility. They have had the player for 6 weeks and informed me today that the manufacturer in the UK sent them the wrong part (or maybe they ordered the wrong part) and they are waiting for the correct part. Looks like another 3-4 weeks before I see the DVD player. The amplifier was under warranty so that went back to the manufacturer. The amp sat on the floor for 6 weeks. I was told today that they have looked at it and that they have located the board they need to fix it. They may be able to get it installed in a week but can not make any promises. I am guessing that it will be another 3-4 weeks before I see the amplifier. I know some of this repair time is unavoidable but weeks can quickly turn into months especially with shipping time and components sitting around for weeks before they are even looked at. I now know why there are frequently things for sale on Audiogon where the listing states something like "just back from the factory in perfect working order". I guess when you send something in for repair you might just as well go ahead and replace the item right away and then sell whatever you sent in for repair when you finally get it back.
mchd1
Mchd1.---Yes, to heap insult upon injury---Your piece has a problem and everybody you come in contact just lies and lies. On a new JVC tv, I had an issue. I call Good Guys--they never heard of it. I call JVC---they never heard of it.---3weeks later,(maybe 6 hrs on hold) I get on the list and in 2weeks someone will come out and fix my set.----I go to avsforum;from the chat there, 1/2 the folks with my set have 'that' exact problem.
To avoid all of the pain and aggravation noted above, there is always -- as noted by "racarlson" -- Bryston. A no-questions unconditional warranty that lasts forever; exceptional reliability; customer service and support that is beyond belief; and repairs accomplished within usually a 24 hour turnaround time. No, I have no connection whatsoever with the company, other than being a respectful and satisfied customer. I speak from personal experience and I simply applaud a company that cares for its customers, from senior management on down. Here is a true story to exemplify all of the above. About 4 years ago, I purchased a used BP-25 preamplifier that arrived with deep gouges on the top cover, not the minor scuffs cited in the description. On the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, I sent an e-mail to Bryston and received a reply -- on a Sunday no less -- three hours later. Two days later, I was sent via UPS International Express, a new top cover; a new shipping carton; a completely new set of allen screws; and several huge and heavy professional grade allen wrenches and screwdrivers to accomplish the repair. Total cost, including international shipping, was $35. I was also sent an apology for Bryston even having to charge that amount of money. This is what it should be like! And that is why I am an unswerving Bryston loyalist. Always remember the first rule of high-end audio: when you turn it on, it plays.
I'll third Bryston. Seven days total time including rountrip shipping.

A lot of folks here put Bryston down for being a bit pedestrian, but they make a great product and back it with a true committment of 20 years.

I get a bit of a kick reading about (high end) components
needing service, and the time it takes under warranty.
After warranty they get a gun to the head on the repair charges.

I've also had good luck with Classe, and I'm sure there are many more great companys out there.Those are the ones that will get my business.