the big one: how do you choose speakers? By what features, data?

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

I don’t have buyer’s remorse for my last pair but I sure made some stupid choices until I got there, that I could have avoided if I had known about this forum sooner.

grislybutter

There’s lots of good speaker wisdom being shared in this discussion!

I’m curious though, is there any benefit to using vintage speakers other than nostalgia?

@monkeys_on_the_moon 

For 99.99% of the time no.

There were some amazing speakers like the Quad 57 that truly have a unique sound. But that is always followed by, but of course there is no bass and the high frequency is attenuated… but that midrange is so sweet. 

By and large and nearly categorically no. Each decade has produced substantial improvements in sound. But you’ll find some JBL fans… because they were in love with the time they passed around the joint in college… or fell in love with the idea of Voice of the Theater speakers. But, then, that is nostalgia.

@ghdprentice That makes sense, the lack of bass is definitely something I've noticed with my Jensen bookshelf speakers.

I'd never heard of the Quad 57 before, there's definitely something kind of charming about that style and appearance though!