The Best Speakers for a Small Room

I am looking for a pair of speakers for my relatively small (approximately 12x14 ft) listening/living room. I have a McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe power amplifer and a Meridian 506.24 CD player. I listen to a lot of different types of music, but mostly to progressive rock (Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant), jam bands (Moe., Dave Matthews Band, Phish, String Cheese Incident) bluegrass, and jazz (both fusion and a lot of traditional acoustic). . . in general, very busy music. Does anyone have suggestions for speakers that would match well with my listening room size, electronics, and musical tastes? And yes, before you say it Carl, I realize that room treatment is absolutely critical and will act accordingly. I would prefer to keep the price around $1500 (new or used), but could go up to $2000 if there was something really special out there. Thanks to any and all that respond!
gmorse
Small room: Spendor 3/5s, slightly larger room: Spendor 1/2s. The best midrange of any box speaker and a smooth, never tiring presentation.
Go to your nearest pro-sound or music equipment/recording equipment dealer and check out the Mackie HR-824 powered studio monitors. These speakers are becoming standards in the recording field for their extreme accuracy. A pair will cost about $1000- to $1200 depending on new or used. They are not large, about 12x10x10 but have a frequency response of 39-20k + or - 1.5db.! And these specs have been tested. If you get a chance go to their website and read some of the reviews. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of the speakers that have been recommended. I know the Dunlavy 111 frequency response is as good as the Mackie's but they're 6ft.tall. Add a sub such as the Carver and take no prisoners! Happy Hunting!
I can only recommend a pair of Avance Epsilon 910s...I'm biased since I own these, but I auditioned many bookshelf speakers before making my purchase. Quality parts...Scan Speak drivers. They list at $999, but can be gotten for a little less than that with a discount. See them at www.avance-international.com. Other speakers that were very nice were the Dynaudio Audience 40's ($699)and the B&W CDM1SE's ($1100). Have fun listening.
Most of the above mentioned speakers are very good. You should try Paradigm's Mini-Monitor. VERY accurate and even more AFFORDABLE. For a bookshelf speaker, you will never greatly surpass their performance and they can be had for new under $400.
Since the Paradigm falls well below you price limit and they are in need of low bass help, you could check out an additional 250watt HSU TN1225 subwoofer and KILL the other set-ups mentioned and still be about $300 below you spending limit. The HSU has a very small "footprint" so it will not take up hardly any excess room.