The Best Amplifier Ever ?

OK, let's get the straight scoop! Stereophile reviewers want to push the Halcro dm58 (and presumably the dm68) into a newly formed A+ category because it is the best amplifier ever. For a moment, let's assume something like a "best" can exist, at least for one person at a time. Is this the end for all other amps in the proximate price range? Paul Bolin used words like "jaw dropping" and "utter disbelief" -- Oh I know that journalists like that kind of thing, but Mr. Bolin basically says that nothing else comes close to comparison. No contest. Not in the same league. Even in Stereophile, I can't recall something quite that glowing (except maybe for the Boulder 2008 phono preamp). What do you think?
ozfly
Appreciate the kind words. I have been lurking this site for over a year now but didn't feel I had something to contribute until now. I will follow the suggestion to post the 'review' (really just my observations and reactions) of the Halcro in the appropriate section for member reviews. And I also like the appellation CJ - wish I thought of it!
The best amplifier ever - hmmm - lets see. It would have to be one of these (devided into categories tube, solid state and digital):

Tube Research Labs Platinum Golden Triode Reference 800 Mono Amplifiers
Jadis JA-800
Atma-Sphere MA-3 Reference Mono Amplifiers
Conrad Johnson Grand Anniversary Triode Mono Amplifiers(upcoming)
Vacum Tube Logic Siegfried Reference Mono Amplifiers
Audio Research Reference 610T Vacum Tube Monaural Amplifiers
Wavac Audio SH-833 Mk.II
LAMM Industries ML-3 Signature Mono Amplifiers
Convergent Audio Technologies JL-1 Limited Edition
Joule Electra VZN-350 Destiny OTL Monoblock Amplifiers
Kondo Gaku-On Mk.II
Shoreline 800 Monoblock Amplifiers
Pathos Acoustics Adrenaline
Glass Master SD-2
Tube Research Labs Single Ended Triode Reference 50 Mono Amplifiers
Loth-X Silbatone 300 SEL
Tenor Audio Hybrid Series 300 Hp Monoblock Amplifiers
Balanced Audio Technologies VK-300SE Dual Block Balanced Zero Feedback Triode Bridged Mono Amplifiers
Ypsilon SET-100 Monoblock Amplifiers
Octave Research Jubilee Monos
Zanden Audio Model 9600 Push Pull Mono Amplifiers
Nagra VPA Mono Amplifiers
Walcott Audio Presence Mono Amplifiers
Cary Audio CAD-1610SE Monblock Amplifiers
KR Audio Double Kronzilla Mono Amplifiers
Marantz Project T-1
Van Gaylord Audio Uni Monoblock Amplifiers

Dynaudio Arbiter Mono Power Amplifiers
Krell Master Reference Amplifiers
Mark Levinson No.33 Reference Monaural Amplifiers
Burmester Reference Line Power Amplifier 909 Monos
GamuT Audio S600M Mk.III
Edge Electronics NL Reference Mono Amplifiers
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 2011
Goldmund Telos 5000 (upcoming)
Halcro dm88
Spectral Audio DMA-360S Reference Monaural Amplifiers
Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 301
Krell Evolution One Monophonic Power Amplifiers
MBL 9011 Reference Line Mono Power Amplifiers
Boulder Amplifiers 2050 Class A Mono Amplifiers
Hovland Company Stratos Reference Mono Amplifiers
Audire The New Monarch
Bridge Audio Laboratory BAlabo BP-1 Mk.II Bridged Mono Amplifiers
McIntosh Mc2KW
Essence Jasper Reference Mono Amplifiers
Cello Performance II
Pass Labs X-1000.5
Classè Omega Reference Monaural Amplifiers
Theta Citadel
Esoteric Audio Research M100A
Linn Klimax Chakra 500 Solos
Chord SPM 14000
Accuphase M-8000
Dynamic Presicion DP-A2
Electrocompaniet Nemo Mk.II
Forsell The Statement
Bladelius Design Group Beowolf
Gryphon Anthilleon Signature Monos
Vitus Audio SM-101 Signature Monaural Amplifiers
Sim Audio Moon The Rock
Viola Audio Labs Bravo Reference Monaural Amplifiers

Wadia 790 PowerDAC
Audio Physic Monos

So the the definitive answer is that it has to be matched with the rest of your setup.
Cary Anniversary 805's with 6SL7 input tubes. I've owned two pairs of 805C's with 6SN7's and 6SL7's. I own a pair of Anniversary 805's with the 6SL'7s and have owned a pair of Anniversary with the 6SN'7. The Anniversarys normally come with the 6SN'7s. "BIG MISTAKE HERE" The 805 Anniversary with the 6SL7's just sound more musically correct from top to bottom. I didn't like the 6SN'7 version at all. These amps are really incredibale and are very hard to beat and in this version I would take on all challengers bar none. In my opinion one of the very best amps every produced. Try it; you'll like it I swear
such a question is really academic. the best amp for an electrostatic speaker is not necessarily the best amp for a horn speaker. the best low powered amp for a horn speaker would not drive a magnepan.

what are the criteria for "the best amp" ?

it is better to ask "what is my favorite amp and why" ?

too many of the questions which include the word "best" are so open ended that the answers may not be applicable to all situations.
Rhagen: you forgot to include the Acoustic Reality Thauma Turge mono amps. One audiophile replaced three pairs(!) of his WAVAC SH-833's (which are included in you list) with the Acoustic Realities.

Chris