The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69

Showing 1 response by p05129

Now we have a poster that thinks he is an art expert as well as an audiophile. Wrong on both accounts! I prefer some artists over others and the poster is wrong on how art is displayed. If you go into a Weinstein gallery and look at Nottebohm, Kincaid, Coleman, and other artist work, you will see dim rooms with lights highlighting each piece of art to see the highlights and the 3D effect of say Nottebohm. For music, I prefer good studio recordings most of the time mainly because live rock/jazz/blues performances for the last 20 years have been artificially bass boosted, and some areas have terrible acoustics. A good amphitheater or a smaller venue can sound spectacular.
As for my audio system, I want my system to sound like a real instrument: a 20” ride cymbal to sound different than a 16” ride/crash cymbal, a sax to sound like a sax, not some blurry substitute. This requires a good audio room and good audio equipment IMO