That Transformational piece of Gear We All Wish For

I suspect most of the music/audio lovers on this web site have wished for that piece of gear that literally transforms their system?  I know i have.  I have been going down this audio rabbit hole since the mid 70’s, and there have been a few pieces that made a really nice improvement to my system (the PS Audio P20 Power plant being one of them).  However (and this comment only applies to pre-amps and amps and no other category), nothing that I can ever recall has so energized and improved my system in so many ways as my new pre-amp.  I have owned some really fine brands in the past including Pass,  Coda, ARC, PS Audio,  Rowland, and more, but now I am a BAT Man for sure.   The new pre-amp is the BAT VK-80 and I love that beast.  I hope everyone reading this will get a chance someday to try one in their system.  I know he is a controversial figure,  but Kevin Deal's review of this piece is so right on.  He really loves it too and rightfully so.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2swa55JXo

My system consists of:

Thiel 3.7 speakers

Coda 16 power amp

PS Audio DSD DAC MK II

PS Audio Perfect Wave transport

PS Audio P20 power plant

BAT VK 80 preamp

128x128ronkent

+1 on the room treatments. Especially the first reflections and the middle front. Especially if you have a tv/ projector screen of some sort. Just covering your tv/ screen with a simple blanket will make you think you bought a whole new system. 
That being said, It was the ARC Ref 5SE preamp. Next would be upgrading to the NOS Winged “C” or Tungsol Black Plate 6550 tube in said preamp. I know some people feel they do not need or want a preamp. I am definitely not one of them. 

Upgraded the 12au7 tubes on my Line Magnetic DAC. It was an excellent performer with the self branded LM Chinese tubes but when I swapped in a pair of La Radiotechnique 12au7wa it went next level. Still amazed by how rolling in a couple of exceptional tubes can raise the bar in 9 of 10 components. I plan on doing the same with some high quality 6922s in my Canor 2.10.
Just my experience...

dCS network bridge. Relaxed the sound, opened it up and all the harshness and sibilance disappeared 

I've been a BAT man for about 5 years now.  I upgraded to a BAT VK-90 last year and was amazed at the improvement of space between instruments and the air around vocals.  BAT is an outstanding brand of product, as is the company and people there.  I really don't think I will change to another brand, but I am likely to continue to upgrade within the BAT line of products. 

To the question of the OP, transformational products for my systems, over the years, have been phono cartridges and phono stages, speakers, and most recently the BAT VK-90 preamp.  What a fun and pleasurable journey it has been.