Teres 265 or 320 vs. Sota Cosmos

I am looking at picking up a new Turntable. As of right now I'm guessing either would be equipped with a Triplaner arm and the ZYX Airy 2.

BUT anyway has anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison between these models? What differences did you notice, and how would you compare them?

Any insight would be appreciated!
128x128nrchy

Showing 12 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Sirspeedy: I love your post !!. Makes me laugh ( in the best way ) and makes my day a best one.

Stay tunned !!

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Nrchy: Other than Sirspeedy post, I think that the vacumm hold record is a great plus on the Sota Cosmos against not only Teres but any TT with out it.

If you are looking for a great music reproduction cartridge I think that you can do better that with the ZYX if you try elsewhere: Dynavector XV-1, Transfiguration W/V, Allaerts Boron/MC2 or Van denHul Colibri/Condor.

Raul.
Nrchy: For many years the Sota/SME V and Sota/ ET, combinations were a favorites ones.

The Cosmos/SME V/Sumiko Celebration is an analog rig very hard to beat, recomended.

Raul.
Dear Nrchy: +++++ " how much would I be loosing to the TriPlaner? " +++++

Your question could be too: " how much would I loosing to the SME V ? "

The Triplanar is a very good tonearm but the SME V is an excellent tonearm.

From today tonearms I don't know any tonearm that really " hands down " the V ( all these is relative because many things depend on the other analog items: cartridge, TT, etc... ). It's design take in count almost any parameter for the " perfect tonearm ".

The SME V ( btw, all SME products ) is not only a " tonearm " it is really a high tech instrument named: tonearm, the building level quality is unmatched in the industry and its performance is first rate by any audio standards.

Now, if you mated with the Sumiko Celebration you could have a " awesome " combo for the music repoduction.

For do the Celebration " voicing " the designer cartridge did use the SME V. So, that combination is really a great one and will work beautiful on the Cosmos. No, the ZYX is not a " contender " against that combination.

Raul.
Dear Sirspeedy: Any Koetsu cartridge is not the best match for the SME V.

+++++ " and "machined" aspect. " +++++ , as you say: to your taste.

Doug, the SME/Celebration combo is unrivaled for the ZYX in any tonearm. I already mentioned others threads: the ZYX is faulty in the frecuency extremes, especially in the low end one. You can't heard that because your system can't reproduce it in a proper way.

Raul.
Dear Doug: +++++ " Raul's unresponsive reply speaks for itself. " +++++
+++++ " . When caught bluffing about cartridges and arms he's never heard, he boldly raises the stakes by criticizing entire systems in homes.. " +++++

I don't need " bluffing " about anything and I never do about ZYX: why do you think that? , I don't have any interest on doing that.

I have a solid opinion on the 1000,100,2 and 3 ZYX cartridges because I already heard on systems that I know, including mine ( two of them ).

There are many issues that take in count to differenciate a good cartridge to an excellent one ( btw, in any audio item ). For me two critical of those parameters that do the difference are how the cartridge performs at frecuency extremes and the ZYX that I already heard are only good at those frecuency extremes especially at the low bass.

The Sumiko/SME V combination is an excellent combo. Maybe you are not happy with my comments because you own the ZYX cartridge and you think is the " best " out there: it is not. There are severals cartridges that beats ZYX, not only the Celebration and don't think that because the Celebration is " only " 1.5K is not an excellent cartridge that can't compete with ZYX.

Other than the Celebration that can beat the ZYX: Dynavector XV-1, Van denHul Colibri ( low output ), Allaerts MC2 Finish, Transfiguration W/V, Myabi 47, Lyra Titan/Parnassus, Clearaudio Accurate/Discovery/Insider, Ikeda 9REX, Shelther 90x.

Now, there are some peoples like you, Larry and others that claim that ZYX is the " best " on the world ( I respect your opinions ), but any of you are heard all those cartridges on your systems, so that claim is a irresponsible one: not for me that I know is not true but for the people in this forum that does not have enough experience about.

Doug, I'm never refer to your system with the " pathetic " word. Your reference about the bass issue with your system is a very old one.

+++++ " You can't heard that because your system can't reproduce it in a proper way. " +++++

I'm not trying to insult you with this statement. You know ( be honest ) that your system can't reproduce the low bass in a proper way, it is limited: no question about. I'm not saying that your system is a " lesser " system: it is not but for we can do a serious evaluations against differents cartridges we have to take in count these " small " inconvenients in the system.

Doug, you can remember that I congratulate you for your ZYX review: if I did have any thing against you or your whole system then at that time I could post not only the bass issue but many other subjects where I don't agree, but I respect to any one that do a review, good or bad that's not important, and I do it.

Larry, +++++ " Nice post. I would add that the main issue here is that when people offer opinions as fact and in an insulting manner, it is usually not taken well.
When it is done frequently as in the case of Raul, " +++++

please don't live in the " past ". Please do a revision of my posts in the last three monts ( more or less ) and learn who I am.

Sirspeedy, +++++ " that I can't make a definitive comment on stuff I haven't heard.Maybe Raul's extensive love of the hobby,and equally extensive experience gives him the confidence to make these statements.We,others ,on the otherhand,are free to NOT agree,and Raul is equally free to offer his opinions.Some will be correct,and some not.The experienced hobbyist can make his/her own mind up about them! " +++++

This is all about. Tks Sirspeedy.

Raul.
Hi Doug: +++++ " When caught bluffing about cartridges ... " +++++

This is what an Zyx airy3 owner ( Amazon,Tri`planar, etc ) post about this cartridge against the 90X, that confirm what I already post about ( it is not the only one that share my point of view ):

+++++ " I thought the Shelter did a slightly better job of handling the bass frequencies in terms of overall weight. " +++++

Doug, with all respect, I don't need your approval/satisfaccion for " enhance my credibility ", at least for now, but stay tunned.

Raul.
Dear Larry: +++++ " to be a little more even handed when trying to prove your points.. " +++++

For the last few months my statement about the low bass performance of the ZYX cartridges is the same: good performance only not excellent one, and the Dmailer post confirm it.

There is nothing that you or Doug can do about, only the manufacturer can do something about. Don't try to defend the indefensible, you can't do nothing against: facts.

I understand your feelings about because you and Doug are ZYX owners ( like many other people ). Now, don't believe me: try to borrowed a Dynavector XV-1, a Colibri or a Transfiguration and you can check easyly how any of these cartridges beats your ZYX. As I already told: the ZYX are only good cartridges but not an excellent one.

I think that the ZYX design is going in the right way and only needs more time-experience for approach the excellence: do you think that the XV-1 or the Colibri is the result of a " lucky strike " ?, no is the result of many many years of research/design/test/build ( in the Dynavector case: till dead. ) and these cartridges are not perfect ones but certainly a step higher than the ZYX cartridges, sorry. The problem for you and Doug ( and many other people ) is that " rush into " ZYX like a " child with a new toy ", with blind " eyes ", with out " seen " many other superlative alternatives out there: that's was your choice.

Now, like Sirspeedy told us, if you are satisfied with your ZYX: great for you, this is the important issue.

Raul.
Dear Sirspeedy: " Spot on ". Well I agree with you it is almost imposible to have each cartridge in a perfect " spot on ".

The ten ones that are already installed in my system are near that " illusion point ", example: the Colibri, the XV-1, the Allaerts and the Ikeda: the other ones are in the process of " which tonearm is better " test.

As a fact with the number of cartridges that I own it is not almost imposible to do that but in many cases to remember exactly the sound reproduction characteristics of each one.

What I can tell you is that I have a lot of " fun " trying to do it. I learn something everyday doing that.

+++++ " Why don't you start a dedicated audio magazine. +++++ "
By coincidence, I already think about, but >I don't have nothing at hand for now.

Raul.
Dear Sirspeedy: The Transfiguration is a top level performance cartridge. You are on the " big league " here.

Raul.
Dear Sir5speedy: Like you ( I like everything almost perfect but I'm not obsessed about. I like to have time to enjoy the music ) I'm " always " looking for a " tweaks/up-grade " for to have a better quality music reproduction ( btw, you have to try the V-caps in all your audio items. Recomended !!! ). But I'm very " lucky " about because till today, during the voicing after the up-grade , I never have the necessity to do a change in the cartridge mounting parameters ( exception when I change a tonearm/cartridge combination ) and always could " know " for sure if that " up-grade/tweak " was really an improvement and enjoy it or not.

+++++ " Raul,based on my initial question,and your honest response to me,I can surmise that it isn't really fair for you to dismiss the ZYX UNIV cartridge( " +++++

I respect you point of view and here I remember what you already post on this thread:

+++++ " the hobby,and equally extensive experience gives him the confidence to make these statements.We,others ,on the otherhand,are free to NOT agree,and Raul is equally free to offer his opinions.Some will be correct,and some not. " +++++

Your final statements on your last post are a universal ones and there are more issues to add about. But what tell me those statements ?: that we can't do any statement over any subject because there are too many differents " issues " between two peoples and between two audio systems ? . Come on Sirspeedy !!!!!

+++++ " since they spent their own money on it ... " +++++

Sirspeedy I know that . Larry, Doug or any other happy ZYX owner my next statements/subjects/issues about ZYX has nothing to do with any " bad feeling " from my part to any of you or any one and it's only an effort trying to help and " be better ":

- +++++ " is that " rush into " ZYX like a " child with a new toy ", " +++++

I think that this " fast track " attitude has a lot to " see " with what happen with the ZYX owners:

- there are many forms for to choose an alternative ( any audio item ) for to buy audio items, mine is a very long research process to take a decission: first I do a deep research about the builder/designer: who are they? where they come? for how many time on the subject? why I should buy their audio item ?, etc... Second, I do deep research too through differents dealers that carry the audio item and others similars for to know their opinions about. Third, I do a research through as many proffesional reviews as I can find, reading " between lines " for to know about. Fourth, I try to have a " live experience " ( my own system ) with it but if I could not, then I try to " heard " at a friend's system or directly with the dealer. Fifth, I ask to owners of the audio item. Sixth, I do a differents forums research about. etc...
Maybe all of you do the same " long track " process for make your decissions. My impression is that many of you are on the " fast track " ZYX alternative: why I think in this way?, well every time that I do a " simple " question, about " your " : " the best cartridge in the world " ZYX statement, that if you already compare the ZYX cartridges against the long list of excellent cartridges that I categorically post that beats the ZYX ones, the " silent " answer is NO.
Now, I'm not against the " fast track " attitude, it's not my money it's yours, I'm only trying to help that's all.

Btw, in the time I buy many audio items with the " fast track " attitude and in almost all there were a mistake because I buy the wrong audio item.

My last " fast track " was the Shelther 901: I buy this cartridge " only " with a fast research in this forum about the 501 and the 901. At that time all the the forum opinions about the 901 were " awesome ", so I buy it.
My first " hearing " impressions with the 901 were really great, but after a month ( more or less ) I could identify some problems with the performance of this cartridge till I have to put on sale and sold immediatly. I buy the 90X.

At that time I was the first people in the forum to post anything against the 901: " a hi-fi " cartridge or something like that, immediatly the " 901 club " people " fight with me because my post.
Two months latter that " same people " agree with me.

+++++ " didn't see a UNIV in your collection.. " +++++

Till today the ZYX can't belong in my collection. When any ZYX will be on target with the excellent performance of " others " top cartridges you can be sure that I will have that ZYX in my system. I remember you that this " hobby " is an extremely important subject on my life, nothing less.

Now, I'm not the only one that thinks that the " ZYX is not the best... ": I already post this on other thread:

- One person ( Walker TT, Wilson, Atmasphere, etc.. ) put on sale his Colibri through the Agon classifieds, trying to help I send a e-mail asking why he puts on sale the Colibri and buy the ZYX. He explain that the ZYX was better on..., on..., on... and on... that the Colibri. I give him my advise and he return the Colibri to Vandenhul for a check up. When the Colibri come back to his system, he was really happy with and hands down his ZYX cartridge easily. He gime me " tks " for my Colibri insistence.

Again regarding the " fast track " attitude. I think that all of us " other(experienced)hobbyists! " , like you say, have a great responsibility in this forum for to help to others people to take good " decissions " ( if they take it or not, that's another history ). The ZYX " fast track " attitude approach to an incredible post like this one:

+++++ " I have recently been through a search for a new cartridge. I cannot listen to anything anywhere near my home, since I live in the middle of nowhere. I have been talking to several fellow music lovers and narrowed my search to a couple of cartridges including some of the Benz and ZYX models. Based on what I have heard from ZYX owners, these cartridges outperform many cartridges costing more and having great reputations. " +++++

This person never heard the ZYX cartridge but " based " on what others " heard " he do the statement that the ZYX " outperform MANY cartridges costing more... etc..

What happen when not so experienced people read this " fast track " opinion ? Do you think that this kind of audiogon-forum post really help to anyone?

I'm sure it helps: for take wrong desicions for buying the wrong audio item, when out there are many alternatives that could help that that people could be really happy and not thinking if their choose really was the best one at that time.

No, Sirspeedy I think that I don't do a favor to anyone " telling him " what he " wants " to hear. We can do a " favor " when we tell what we know or think we know is the true or nearest to the true about. We can be wrong but we have to " say " it.

Raul.
Dear Bryan: +++++ " I had a Koetsu Rosewood Sign. before. The Airy 3 is miles ahead of the KRS .." +++++

I agree with you. But till three days ago something happen with the Koetsu subject on my system: stay tunned.

The Merlins are great speakers I hope your OTL can do a good match with the " electric impedance curve " of the speakers.

Now if you can mate the Merlins with a pair of subwoofers in a true stereo integration, you will have a system that will be very hard to surpass at any price: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1117893153&openflup&27&4#27 and http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1117893153&openflup&31&4#31

Raul.