Teres 265 or 320 vs. Sota Cosmos

I am looking at picking up a new Turntable. As of right now I'm guessing either would be equipped with a Triplaner arm and the ZYX Airy 2.

BUT anyway has anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison between these models? What differences did you notice, and how would you compare them?

Any insight would be appreciated!
128x128nrchy

Showing 20 responses by nrchy

Actually the Teres will have a number of different belts, since he experimented with almost anything a person can imagine, and I'm not just talking about belts!!!
I got an e-mail from Steve, the Teres should be here Friday. It will be a welcome relief to the stress of the last week...
If I were to go with the SME V how much would I be loosing to the TriPlaner? For purely cost issues I'm connsidering the less expensive SME V over the TriPlaner. I would rather go with the later, but it just might not be possible! Any help?
What mounting problems did you have with the triplaner? What version was the Wheaton?
Does that mean if I get the new tri-planer that I will not have that problem?

I have a Star right now that will be traded on a Cosmos, so I am already familiar with the vacuum platter. I also ordered the Cosmos armboard for my star and got the reflex clamp. I wonder how much better the Cosmos will be than the Star?!?
TWL am I ever glad to see/hear you again. It's not as much fun here without your input.

I was wondering if Raul really had anything to offer other than opinions!?!
Doug, I'm soo ashamed for you! Isn't it funny how someone will take something out of context and base an entire arguement on that misinformation???
Thank you Sirspeedy and Cello. I have learned a lot from your posts. The TT issue is settled since I have ordered the Cosmos. As soon as I have the money together I will be ordering the ZYX Airy 3. Your comments have been very helpful. $ for $ the Zyx seems to be a giant killer, but at a David sized price in comparison.
Tom, I have been remiss. I should have called you a couple of months ago when I noticed your absence.
Just a brief update, I got three boxes from Sota today. I'm looking at them right now. I will be here at work for many hours, but I'm pretty excited to get home and start putting things together.

Thanks for the help earlier on in this thread everyone.
There's nothing good to report right now, thus the silence. Something is not right.
I have found and eliminated a series of problems. The issue currently is that the arm lift assembly is sitting on top of the Cosmos chassis when the VTA is correct. To raise the arm enough requires me to set the VTA too high. I have been in contact with Kirk and am waiting his response as we speak.

There is very little bass present in the set up right now. I know that the cartridge has a ways to go before it is able to reproduce good deep bass, but still...

I would appreciate any insight you might offer. I know this is not just a mismatch between the TriPlanar and the Cosmos since Sota uses the same combination at CES and other venues. I'm at a loss.
Sirspeedy, Sota uses the TriPlanar with the Cosmos and the Millenia. My concern is that the suspension is hanging too low from the chassis. If the sub-chassis sat up higher there would be no issue, but at the same time I doubt that Kirk has the same issue with his own display models.

Doug, you are correct in your assesment of the Cosmos construction. The floating sub-chassis which contains the platter, and the armboard is hung from the main or outer portion of the chassis.

The arm lift assembly is actually sitting on top of the chassis when the VTA is set anywhere near it's intended location.

The entire works is boxed up and awaiting shipping back to Sota, where I hope Kirk will find something obvious that I did wrong, or something wrong in construction that we be rectified.

Hope for the best and expect the worst...
Doug, actually the spindle to pivot dimension is off more than 2mm. I think it is closer to 4mm which could go a long way to correcting the armlift overhang issue.

I don't doubt that Kirk will take care of all these details, so I'm not worried (right now) about having to deal with 'a sale gone bad.' Isn't that a video series???

Pat with the floating subchassis there is no suspension adjustment. We'll take a look at it at the RMAF so you can see what I mean!
My wife was the one who brought it up this time. She knows I want to go, and even Larry has asked about dates and so forth.

I was checking flights this AM, so I'm about 75% sure that I will attend. Your confirmation might be the push I need! : ) What's the word?
Gentlemen, those of you still sober enough to read this anyway... : )

I shipped three boxes to Sota this morning. Went to one of those shipping places to make sure everythiung was good. They guy did not instill much confindence. He asked me if I thought the boxes could be dropped from five feet without incurring damage!?! WTFrog???

Anyway they should blow into the windy city tomorrow. Kirk said they would go to the front of the line. I hope he's there to do the work.

I bought my tickets to Denver for the RMAF and I'm holding right now for the hotel reservation.

Cello, sounds like a reunion! AP, vetterone, and hopefully Lugnut will all be there. Whose turn is it for dinner?
I talked to Donna today. Kirk will be working on the table this weekend. Hopefully everything will be in place in the next few days.
Doug, what is a PFSM?

I talked to a fellow AudiogoNer and he agreed to send me his Teres to listen to and compare to my Cosmos. I also have another slightly older Cosmos in the system right now. It has an SME V and a Shelter 501 cartridge. It should be fun to sit down and do some serious comparisons between the three.

More to come in January on my little tease from October...