Teres 265 or 320 vs. Sota Cosmos

I am looking at picking up a new Turntable. As of right now I'm guessing either would be equipped with a Triplaner arm and the ZYX Airy 2.

BUT anyway has anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison between these models? What differences did you notice, and how would you compare them?

Any insight would be appreciated!
128x128nrchy

Showing 10 responses by dougdeacon

Nate,

I can't say anything about a SOTA, but we recently upgraded from our Teres 265 to a 320. The performance improvement was far larger than the cost difference. This was one of the most dramatic upgrades we've done. If you decide in favor of Teres I strongly recommend the 320 over the 265 if your budget allows.

Obviously you'll have no problems mounting a TriPlanar (or just about any other arm) on a Teres.
Raul's unresponsive reply speaks for itself.

He'd be a fine poker player. When caught bluffing about cartridges and arms he's never heard, he boldly raises the stakes by criticizing entire systems in homes he's never visited - and is never likely to.
Thanks gents! If you ever play poker with Raul, make sure he's wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

Many months ago I commented that my TriPlanar VII had deeper bass extension than its predecessor, an OL Silver. As an example, I noted that on the HFN&RR test record's resonance tracks, the OL reproduced audible test tones down to about 24Hz while the TriPlanar reproduced audible test tones down to 17-18Hz. (Same table, same cartridge, yada, yada).

I never claimed and do not claim that my system is anything like flat down to 17Hz, or even to 24. But under the right circumstances (eg, a test record at high gain levels) it does produce *some* audible energy down there.

Raul's occasional swipes at my pathetic system and its non-existent bass began on that thread. He may believe I was claiming flat response below what my system is capable of and is trying to protect you all from such heinous misrepresentations.

Raul, I hereby confess:

MY SYSTEM IS NOT FLAT TO 17, 24 OR EVEN 32 Hz.

Feel better?
Raul,

I do remember your complimenting the Airy 2/3 review and thank you for that. Unfortunately, you still haven't answered the one question that matters to Nrchy:

Which current ZYX models have you heard on a TriPlanar VII?

That is what Nrchy is thinking of buying. Your opinions are relevant if you've heard this combo, but irrelevant if you have not.

A simple, "I don't know, I haven't heard that.", is quite acceptable. Saying so would even enhance your credibility.

Regards,
Doug
Nate, two questions:

1. The Cosmos picture on the SOTA website shows the arm mounting area is actually recessed into the plinth. Is yours like that?

2. If so, is it a case of the arm hitting the edge of that plinth cutout when you try to lower the VTA tower?

Doug
The entire works is boxed up and awaiting shipping back to Sota,

That certainly seems like the best course given the circumstances.

They claim this arm works with this table. Let them make it so. If they can't, I'd expect a full refund on the table. They'd owe you that after all this aggravation.

P.S. Make sure they fix the spindle-to-pivot error too. Could that be the cause of your arm/plinth collision problem? If the arm were 2mm closer to the spindle would it clear the plinth?
Why, it's the Perfect Sound Forever Machine of course!

Someone else posted that here once, I forget who though.

BTW, if your friend's Teres doesn't have the latest, 2 mil thick clear drive belt then get one before making any evaluations. It makes a huge improvement in dynamics/PRaT for no cost.