Telefunken E188CC Sound

Has anyone heard or have the Telfunken E188CC and E88CC?. I would like to know if the E1 is worth the extra money or are the E88CC as good.The E1 go for $400.00 and the E88CC for around $150.00 to $200.00
128x128glory

Showing 2 responses by jea48

I have a pair of each of the Telefunken E88CC and E188CC tubes. Both pairs are great sounding tubes. The E188CC is by far a better sounding tube than the E88CC. Imo the E188CC has a fuller midrange sound. The E188CC is a lively sounding tube, it does a great job of keeping up with fast changing music if you know what I mean. Clean sounding though the Telefunken tubes are not as warm sounding as the USA made early 60s Amperex PQ 6922 tube or the early 60s siemens CCa tube. For the money and sound you can't beat the early 60s USA Amperex PQ 6922 tube. You can still buy them at a reasonable price. Install the Herbie's HAL-O tube dampers near the top of the tube and enjoy.
Though I do not have any personal experience with the Holland made early 60s Amperex PQ 6922 tubes I have heard the sound is similar to the Telefunken tubes.

What piece of equipment will you be using the tubes in? What sound are you looking for?
06-11-06: Glory
I have a Audio Note dac with Amperex white label gold pin PQ shield USA.
I just bought the Siemens CCa gray plate that is in the mail.
I am about to pull the trigger on the Telefunken E188CC for $325.00 new in the box and
I can only speak for the sound from my Sonic Frontiers Line one preamp, with that said, I prefer the sound from the early 60s Siemens CCa tubes to the Telefunken E188CC tubes. Imo the CCa just has a better overall musical presentation.

After you have the Siemens CCa broke-in post back with your opinion of the tube. Same if you buy the Telefunken, let us know what you think of the two tubes.
Jim