Technics SL1000 MK3 (SP10 MK3) performance/value VS modern turntables?

I have a Technics SL1000 MK3 in beautiful condition and in it's lifetime has seen very little use.
I am ready to send it off for complete electronics restoration/upgrade, upgrade the speed control processor module and have the Krebs mods done.  Will cost about $2500.00 to have all this done.

I was wondering how this would compare to what is out there for modern turntables after all the work is done? 
Or, would I be better off selling it, and adding what I was going to spend for the upgrades to a new turntable?
I believe these should sell in untouched condition for at least $5K?  So that would put me in the $7.5K range for a modern table?

For tonearms, I already have:
New, unmounted Moerch DP8
Fidelity Research FR64S, in beautiful condition that I sent off to Ikeda/Japan and they re-wired (better silver wiring, I still have original wires) and completely tore it down and rebuilt/re-lubed.... it's just like a new FR64S.

I think this table would be hard to beat at the $7500.00 price point, but would appreciate others opinion.

Rick

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 14 responses by chakster

You can sell it as is, without any upgrades if nobody touched it before, the buyer will do the rest if needed. Price depends on condition, if you have original box and everything else like new then the price is very high! As you suggested even for used mk3 it can be $5-7000. If the unit in NOS it will cost twice as much.

Or you can send to our JP Jones for inspection if you want to make sure about condition of the electronics.

Not sure why do you think you need Kreb’s mod for mk3? It’s amazing turntable without any mods!

One of the best turntables ever. Even if you will spend up to $60k I doubt it will be any better.

As for the new one you have to check Technics SP-10R (and its retail).
Everything about Kreb’s mod is already on this forum in older posts, easy to search. Same about JP Jones service and his new chip for mk3.

I’m just trying to say that if OP would like to sell his mk3 then any further investment prior to selling is not worth it, because buyer can do it himself.

But if the idea is to keep the mk3 then you can invest more in inspection, calibration, modding etc (up to you).

Rich, you need 10’5 inch (or longer) tonearm for this turntable, short arms are impossible to mount (too close to the metal frame). Reed 12 inch tonearm is superb on this table. Technics EPA-100 mk2 is amazing and made for SL1000 mk3, why you don’t have it? Plinth ? 

FR-64s is good, I also have 64fx, 64fx PRO, Ikeda IT-345 and waiting for FR-66fx. 

Aesthetically 12’ inch tonearms are much better for SP-10 mk3 and mk2. 

My favorite on my ex mk2 was Reed 3p Cocobolo 12’ inch.

Micro CU-500 was incredible on my ex Technics SP-10 mkII
Now I'm using CU-180 on my Luxman PD-444 and I have this spare set (CU180 + ST20 in mint condition). This is definitely the best mat, so rare and hard to find in perfect condition. 
I have and use on my turntables with excellent results: Sakura Systems The Mat, Micro CU-180, SAEC SS-300. All are great mats, Micro is the most beautiful (and most expensive).
Micro Seiki mat was one the best from the beginning when it was made in the 70’s, it was an expensive mat from the start, maybe not as expensive as today, because a MINT- condition of everything from the 70’s and 80’s is normally expensive (even cassette tapes from the 90’s are expensive today, some of them cost $250 each).

Apart from many other that looks like rubber (or even worst) those Micro mats (CU-180 and CU-500) are beautiful mats and it’s huge benefit too.

Micro Seiki COPPER mats are inspiration for others and today instead of Micro people can buy less expensive from gunmetal mats from Tenuto or very expensive pure copper NEW mats from Artisan Fidelity.

All those copper mats are beautiful and it’s hard to arguing about it.

Most of the other mats are absolutely ugly compared to them.

I don’t have mk3, but for Mk2 this is the mat (CU-500). For Technics platter it’s simply amazing!

Pure copper mat from Artisan Fidelity cost $1200 and it’s more than Micro Seiki CU-180 in MINT condition made in the 80s. In Japan where Micro Seiki are cheaper it’s not a big deal to buy even thicker replica for half price, but people prefer original Micro Seiki.

I've spent most of my life digging for obscure music all over the world, in moldy basements and junk shops, so doing some detective work to find an ultra rare Japanese mat is just exactly the kind of fun challenge that makes me happy. And if it doesn't live up to expectation there is always resale!

Same here, yeah
It's fun! And those mats are so beautiful

@lewm After recap and resoldering all the joints, one bad transistor has been replaced, bad wire connection has been fixed, motor hall sensor has been replaced (donor part has been found). Platter edge has been polished, thrust adjusted (the difference was about 1.5 mm :) The minor pulsing noise from the motor (if your ear near the platter) is gone. All these solved.

The last issue was a cyclic fluctuation in motor drive JP need to troubleshoot.

It’s like a scientific lab where JP x-ray all the invisible problems.

Do you know which engine and turntable model the sensor was extracted from to run your 101?

From another Victor TT, but I don't know the details, JP responsible for that. 

this SP10 MK3 w/ FR64fx tone arm was designed with

The tonearm is NOT the 64fx, you’re lucky, because it’s the 66fx ! Amazing tonearm (very expensive and rare), much better than short 64fx. If you don’t know, the market value of your 66fx is about $5k today.