Technics SL-1500C or SL-1210GR

I haven't owned a direct drive table since the early 90s when I sold my Kenwood. I thought I was getting out of vinyl at the time for the "perfect sound forever". I'm thinking I might want to check out a current model to compare to my TD-125 mkII. Has anyone used both of the two referenced tables? I don't need the pitch control feature. I don't need the built in phono stage of the 1500C.

128x128hedgehog

Showing 7 responses by hedgehog

I bumped myself up to considering the SL-1200G, have had difficulty finding one. Well, then, if I'm going to spend $4K plus, there are many other options to consider? Rega RP10 (NOS), Planar 8, Feickert Volare, VPI Prime 21, Michell Gyro SE. Paralysis by analysis could set in if I'm not careful. Sound is number one priority, but I do value beauty in design. I've been looking at the polished version of the Audiomods Series Six tonearm, and it definitely has the wow factor and seems to be well respected.

@bobbydd 

Your solution is how I’m ending up. Did you have any issues getting the correct armboard from your dealer?

I’ll use my very low hours A-T VM760SLC for the time being. Looks like I’m about 8 weeks out on the tonearm. Now, must decide on walnut vs black. 

It is indeed a 70s vintage turntable, with SME 3009 S2 Improved tonearm. 

I hear you. I have a coworker who was using a $200 table into his Sonos speaker. And buying audiophile vinyl, some of it 45rpm! I at least convinced him to get a better table with Ortofon 2m blue. He had no idea that he was doing damage to his expensive LPs. Im not sure people like him are going to step up to a $1200 TT? He cried about $700 for a table and record brush. Of course, he loves the better sound. I like the simplicity of the SL-1500C, but Technics should skipped the phono stage in my opinion. They seem to sell out, so they obviously know better than I do. 

I made a hard u-turn on my plans. I decided I did not want to give up the ability to swap headshells/cartridges. Out with Volare and Series Six, and in with SL-1210GR. I plowed some of the difference into a Ortofon Quintet Black S. 

I received the new rig yesterday. I have it all set up and played a couple sides of Stevie Ray and Pink Floyd. Absolutely fabulous sounding; I can't wait to hear it after the cartridge breaks in. The Quintet is my first MC and I now understand, at least at that level, the magic the MC can convey. The 'table is solid, attractive in a industrial way, and easy to set up. It's early days, but I have a feeling the Technics will be in my system for quite a long while.