Technics SL-1200GR setup question

Hey A'goners,

I recently purchased a Technics SL-1200GR TT and am very pleased with it. I purchased used and it came with a Denon D-110 cart.

My understanding is that when the VTA is properly setup, the tonearm should be parallel with the surface of the record. In my case, the arm tilts down slightly. In other words, it's higher in the back and lower near the cart. The tonearm adjustment is as low as it goes. If I lift up the tonearm to make it level it is probably a good 1/4."

Does anyone have any suggestions here? Is this common or an acceptable degree of tilt? I don't think a shim is going to get 'er done here. 

I appreciate any and all suggestions. 

Thanks,
Joe
128x128audionoobie

Showing 3 responses by lewm

I have commonly found that lowering the pivot with respect to the headshell does shift tonal balance toward the bass and that raising the pivot above level with respect to the headshell does shift tonal balance toward the treble, which, as you say, can enhance sibilance.  There are good reasons for this. Using a thicker mat doesn't help enough with VTA adjustability on the 1200GR?  Are all the G series models similarly affected? At least Audionoobie knows he has company.
Thanks for responding to my question, Audionoobie. The 1200 GR is a very popular choice among those who post here. I wonder whether anyone else who owns the 1200 GR with its standard tonearm could comment on your experience . I still find it odd or surprising at least that VTA adjustment is so limited. However, if it sounds good the way it is, it is good.
Chakster, Was vdH talking about a general rule for all cartridges or about Denon cartridges or about the Technics 1200GR or what? Because that single suggestion is unlikely to be optimal for all combinations of tonearm. cartridge, turntable.
To the OP, are you sure there is not some further adjustability that you are not accounting for? Because there is nothing particularly esoteric about Denon cartridges or about the 1200GR that would lead me to think the VTA adjustment would be so restricted.  Some folks even like the pivot to be lower than the headshell end.