Technics SL-1200GAE or VPI HW-40 or …?

Hello all!

I’m looking for my “reference” direct-drive turntable and am looking at these two usual suspects:  the Technics SL-1200GAE or the VPI HW-40.  However, I was wondering if the VPI is “worth” the more than triple the price of the GAE?  Also, is the new motor Delta Sigma Drive technology Technics introduced in the new GR2 models worth waiting for should it (hopefully) trickle up to a G-model?

I’m happy to pay for performance should it be difference making, but as I’ve not auditioned the VPI (I have listened to it at several Capital Audio Fests numerous times), I wonder if the substantial price difference is warranted in real-world listening.

Thanks for any insights…Enjoy the music!

Arvin

128x128arvincastro

Showing 3 responses by billstevenson

I agree that the VPI Prime was more fussy than the Technics because I had a Prime before I traded it for the HW40.  The HW40 is not fussy at all, however, and is just as set it and forget it as the Technics. 

I believe I can help you with your query.  My two principle TTs are an HW40 and an SL1200GAE.  They sit side by side in my principle system and are in daily use when I am in my primary residence in South Florida.  Both TTs have been with me for several years now.  Nominally the HW40 is my stereo TT and the GAE is my mono TT, although as this is written I am listening to the GAE in stereo, so nothing is locked in stone around here.  My HW40 is normally set up with a SoundSmith Hyperion, but at this time that cartridge is in Peekskill getting a new diamond tip.  So at this time I have a VAS MC cartridge mounted which is not my favorite for jazz.  So the GAE is getting used in a dual role because I have a 2M Black and a 2M Mono SE set up for it, which are interchangeable without changing set up.  This is ideal with two identical headshells.  The 2M Mono SE is a 2M Black in mono and is my preferred choice for most hard bop mono records.  Anyway, I explain all this because it illustrates the principle difference between these two excellent TTs:  The HW40 is more audiophile-centric.  It is not as easy to set up, principally because of the one piece arm, although it is not as difficult as many.  It does sound sublime.  The GAE, is easier to set up and with it's detachable headshell it is more versatile for the record collector.  Speedwise it is a match for the HW40.  They are both equally quiet.  To both I fitted Iso-Accoutics feet to immprove isolation, although neither really needed it.   I can strongly recommend both TTs.  Choose the one that fits you best.  Are you a record collector or an audiophile?  If you are both like I am, you can't go wrong with one of each.  Naturally if I can answer questions feel free to ask.

It seems to me that Technics makes a model much more expensive and perhaps competitive with the VPI in their 1000 series.  Truthfully there is not as much difference in performance between these TTs as you would think.