TAS. The Absolute Sound?

Has it lost its way? 

I just happened on Bob Harleys' Ref System. Does this have relevance?

ptss

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I got seriously into Audio about 25 years ago and for many years regarded TAS and Sterephile as unimpeachable sources.  Gradually I realized that as knowledgeable as the writers may be, there is a tremendous amount of subjectivity in Audio, and there is also a need to sell magazines and keep their advertisers happy.  I particularly lost respect for TAS when they became the cheerleaders for MQA.

Regardless, the value of these magazines is to alert one to technology development.  The internet now can perform the same function.  It would be interesting to see if these magazines survive another 25 years 

A few years ago JA had a Stereophile editorial in which he noted the income disparity in the world and identified a success strategy for every one else, which was to find a way to service the whims of the uber wealthy and live off the crumbs from their table.  His editorial was tinged with regret, but that does describe the business strategy of Stereophile and TAS.  Every now and then they throw a bone to the great unwashed and review a cheaper item and then point to those relatively rare reviews as a shield against their critics.

I still read Stereophile because I like the writers, even if I disregard any of their buy suggestions.  TAS, I can’t stomach.  As a reader one has to know whose water the magazine is carrying.  There are so many alternative sources of information that we aren’t living in a censorship.  Each source of information has its own agenda and one should read with the salt shaker handy