T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 6 responses by roccity

@ljgm You've inspired me to try the direct DAC-to-amp connection.  I'll report back once I've had the chance to A/B.  I think I'll be happy no matter the result; if it sounds better with the Classé, I'll be glad for having bought it.  If I prefer the sound without the Classé, I can sell it and have some extra scratch to put towards speakers!  I may try the A/B with the T+A M200 monoblocks I have on loan (very generously) from my local dealer, but I'll wait until the Vitus is here and broken in before making a final ruling.

I recently purchased the T+A DAC 200 and I'm very happy with it.  It replaced a Chord Qutest which, should be noted, is a fantastic little DAC for the money.  I bought the T+A new from a local dealer (Forefront Audio in Rochester, NY; Lance, the owner, always takes care of me, If you're going to buy the T+A, you may want to give him a call).  The T+A costs roughly six times what a used Qutest goes for, but it's not six times better.  My experience, however, is that it does present a much wider, deeper soundstage and greater detail while being smoother and sweeter sounding.  I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it's like how a Mercedes or BMW can have a ride that's stiffer and better-handling than, say, a Ford Focus, but at the same time provide a much more refined driving experience.  It's definitely worth checking out if you're shopping around this price point.

@mgrif104 I exclusively play digital content, almost exclusively local files.  I've just recently been playing DSD content and the sound quality is definitely superior, with much greater separation of instruments and levels of detail.  I wonder how much of that better performance is DSD versus PCM and how much is the T+A's superiority, though it sounds like @blisshifi believes the T+A is a standout performer when it comes to DSD content. 

I rolled through the filters a few times and landed on BEZ2 as my ultimate set-it-and-forget-it choice. I had a friend’s TT2 for a while and had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison with all other variables remaining constant. The winner: T+A DAC 200. While still offering every bit as much detail as the TT2, it’s fuller and richer sounding. Not a huge gap, but perhaps some would prefer the somewhat leaner presentation of the TT2 or it may be a better choice for use with other speakers or electronics. @ljgm  I’m waiting on a Vitus RS-101 that I ordered a few weeks ago. I’m using a Classé Delta Pre for preamp duties. I’ve not yet compared it to the DAC 200’s preamp section. I’m guessing the Classé is likely a bit better.

@mgrif104 and @blisshifi - It always helps hearing about other people's experiences.  Thanks.

<<I don’t want to sell them on an experience they may not replicate in their own home>>

I very recently had a conversation about that notion with my local dealer (Lance of Forefront Audio) in the context of amps driving speakers that customers are shopping.  He knows he can make any speaker sound really good if he connects them to his Vitus integrated, but he's honest, like BlissHiFi, and chooses an amp to give them an experience more on par with what they'll likely experience in their own home with their usual amplification. And again, I'll report back once I've done the A/B of the T+A's preamp versus my Classé.

Attention all T+A DAC 200 owners!

It's not described in the owner's manual, but you can switch between the six different filters using the remote.  I just stumbled upon how to do it today:

1. Press F1
  2. Press the DOWN arrow
  3. Press OK
  4. Use the LEFT and RIGHT arrows to choose your filter

If you didn't already know this, you're welcome 😉