T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 3 responses by jjss49

with no exaggeration, i have tried (in my own system) some50 dacs since early 2020 (ranging from a few hundred $ to many thousand $)

the weiss 501 is one (of a handful) i have kept, i value its very rich feature set, its small footprint, and its spacious, precise, energetic ’straight wire with gain’ nature of sound... yes, poor recordings will sound poor, there is little in the way of ’masking’ -- i do have other dacs that nicely color the sound, one way or another, but the weiss for me is truly a ’reference’ unit - i recently upgraded to the latest version ’4 ch’ with updated processor chip

i have not tried the t&a

take away from this input what you will

the features, the sound, the small footprint

i am sure you are aware of the manifold features of the 501, so i won’t bother repeating them ad nauseum here

https://twitteringmachines.com/weiss-dac501-beauty-with-brains/ -- m lavorna is an excellent writer, great ears too, covers the needed ground here

@dougthebiker

@ghasley

The Weiss, make no mistake, is a great DAC, it’s just a generation behind now.

Huff’s latest video its also clear that he has replaced the T+A dac with the Weiss dac.

makes me chuckle over my morning coffee

what is the half-life of what is a ’current generation’ dac, or what is huff saying is the best, that he is using??? ... approximately 15 minutes...

to select a dac for one’s own system based on these criteria is, well, not too wise 🤣😂