T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 1 response by jimmy2615

I’ve got the Weiss and the T+A predecessor to the DAC200, the DAC 8 DSD, side by side in my system. I don’t know how much changed between the two T+A DACs, and while they have very similar feature sets, you would have to think T+A changed or improved some things in the 6 or so years between the two DACs. But FWIW, on plain PCM files the Weiss is a little smoother, slightly warmer, and has better depth of soundstage. The T+A on some files sounds a little sharper (in the way of detail or brightness) but in a good way depending on what you’re in the mood for. On pure DSD files (which the Weiss converts to PCM but of course the T+A has the 1-bit DSD converter in it like the DAC200) the T+A can sound very similar to the Weiss and in some cases/files sounds better than the Weiss in terms of spaciousness and detail. For PCM upsampling right now I can only go up to DSD128 based on my current configuration. I find real DSD files sound excellent through the T+A but upsampling PCM files to double rate DSD doesn’t sound any better than the Weiss. I’ll have to work my way up to DSD512 to see if that improves things in a meaningful way, which most users seem to attest to.  Overall, and for me this is the biggest difference, with PCM files the Weiss sounds more natural and realistic than the DAC 8.  DSD files the DAC 8 takes a step up.