T+A DAC 200 or WEISS 501

Who will take what if given an opportunity lets take a vote.

jasbirnandra

Showing 5 responses by dougthebiker

I’ve had the T+A DAC 200 and the Weiss 501 in my system recently.  I’m buying the T+A along with the matching MP 200 streamer.  Together they are a totally different animal;  incredible detail, more than I’ve heard from from $50k DAC’s.  The soundstage is very wide and deep.  The Weiss, make no mistake, is a great DAC, it’s just a generation behind now.

@thibaultgeoui You have to trial the T+A MP 200 with the DAC 200.  They were designed as a pair and it makes a huge difference.  Be prepared, though, they connect with an Ethernet cable and you won’t want the use the one they supply.  Use at least an AudioQuest Vodka or equivalent and you’ll hear SQ that transcends the VERY expensive DACs.

I also auditioned the PS Audio DS 2 and was disappointed in the amount of detail.  Sent it back.

BTW, all these DACs need at least 200 hours on them before they start to sound like themselves.  The PS Audio didn’t peak until about 400 hours.

@markmuse The PS Audio DS 2 did get better with burn in.  It just never came close to the combo of the T+A 200 with the MP 200.  Nor did it rival the combo of the new Innuos Pulsar with the DAC 200, which was also very good.

The real magic is the combo of T+A DAC 200 plus the MP 200.  A staggering bargain IMO.

BTW, the T+A gear sounded much better in my listening room than at the dealer.  I'm running it into a 9W 300B tube integrated amp and through silver Gryphon speaker cables to GR-Research open baffle NX-Oticas.

BTW, @ja_kub_sz made a great point.  The T+A has so much tight bass I had to turn my GR_Research sub down a couple of notches!