System for a dorm - how is this?

Well I am back in school, Law School now, and I am looking to get a system set up for my dorm room. The room is about 12ft x 17 ft rectangle. I listen to almost everything from jazz to metal, but usually it is more along the lines of Dylan, Cash, Wilco, Death Cab, Thursday, indie type stuff I guess.
I am looking to spend in the $1200-$1500 range unless the extra $500 would really upgrade the system.
One problem though is that I would like CD and a turntable, so it may hurt with the budget, but lets see what we can do.
Right now these are the things I have been looking into.

-Cambridge Audio Azure 540 or 640 Integrated Amp
-CD - A NAD (which one?) or Rotel 1072 or Cambridge Audio Azure
-Turntable - Simiko Pro-Ject 1.2 or the one below
-Speakers - EPOS - ELS3
AND as a possible alternative or addition: a headphone and and the Grado 80 (something like that)

So what do you think? What would be good speaker cable and interconnect cable to start looking into? Will these pieces gel together well? Thanks for the help for a newbie.
jmurray16
I used to own an older Cambridge int. amp (A3i) and cdp (d500se). I thought they were really nice pieces for the money. The phono stage on the amp was particularly good for the price. If you're willing to buy used, your budget could take you a long way. I'm a big fan of Rega gear for a small system. I'd suggest looking into getting your hands on a used rega int. amp (mira or brio--400$), cdp (orig. planet--300$), turntable (a P3--300 w/o cart), and perhaps even speakers. Rega stuff is designed for small rooms, sounds great, and looks funky (in a good way). Have fun.
Some other budget recommendations, in addition to the excellent ones you're already considering

- The Music Hall CD-25 sounds remarkable for the money, I don't know that it's better than the Rotel, though
- B&W DM303 speakers, at the same retail price as the EPOS'
- For a couple hundred dollars more, but in a whole different league, these Soliloquy 5.0 monitors
- If you go with the Rotel 1072 CD player, you could match it with a Rotel 1060 integrated amp for a nice-looking setup that uses just one remote
Thanks a lot for the help so far guys. I never really thought about going used but I will look into it. And those Soliloquy speakers look nice too. Any information on what type of interconnects and speaker cables to look into?