Synergistic Research Atmosphere Power Cords.

For those who have been following the SR Red and Black fuse thread in the Amp & Preamp forum, it goes without saying that I loved the way they transitioned my audio system. What I thought was a highly resolving system has been transformed into a system that has been improved in every way ... drastically.  For many of us, me included, our music collection and the playback system is a labor of love. I've been working on mine for over 40 years now.  

After I got into the SR fuses, I started watching SR's youtube video demos. In watching the videos and reading  their literature, I discovered that their new power cords used the same technology as their fuses. That got me to thinking ... if a one and a quarter inch fuse could make such an improvement in the system, what could a five-foot power cord do? I decided to find out.

Four of the new Synergistic Atmosphere Series level 3 AC cords arrived at the house.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/new-atmosphere-series-ac-power-cords/

When they arrived, I unpacked them right away and was totally impressed with the build quality and materials used. More beautiful than the pictures depict. A shame no one is going to see them because they are behind my equipment rack out of sight. But it sure is an indication of the builder/designer's pride of workmanship.  My first thought was ... Wow, if they sound half as good as they look, they should be great. With most things in this hobby, I've acquired a wait and see attitude.

I removed my old PCs and installed the SR's right away (of course). They were replacing two different brands of custom PCs.  I had found through the years that this combination of PCs to beat anything else I tried, especially in terms of musicality and digging down into the organic sound of real instruments.  Two were built by the Music Advancement Company (MAC) in Oregon. The other two were custom built by David Magnan, a very respectable cable builder and a fine gentleman. Those who know Dave's cables know what I mean. Throughout the years, I've had the privilege of using most of Magnan's work from his speaker cables, ICs and PC's. They are exceptional. So, this gives you an idea of what I'm comparing these new SR cables to.

After installation, I warmed the system up, adjusted the bias on the amp and sat down for an initial evaluation.  What I heard right off the bat was an overall improvement in the areas we really like ... bigger , wider, deeper soundstage. More transparency. Far less grain .. in what I thought was a grain-less system. I thought the SR fuses had finally bought me to a grain free audio Utopia. Ha ... silly me. That's the good part.

Now, for the rub: The SR PC's, right out of the box, were doing exactly what the SR Black fuses did and that was to introduce a hard edge, especially on strings. There was an overall degradation in musicality and emotional connection to the music as a result. The reason? The PCs , like the fuses, need at least 100 hours of break-in before they really come to life. Like the fuses, I could hear the promise of these PCs right off, but man, new out of the box, again like the fuses, things  just weren't "right."  It reminded me of when I first fired up the new ARC REF-75se. It took 500 hours for the caps in that amp to finally come around full tilt.

So, as these new SR PCs break in, I'm going to chronicle the experience in this thread all the way from new to tatal break-in. From what I've heard so far, they offer great promise, trouncing my old PCs in so many ways. Now let's see what they can do musically as they break in.

Stay tuned ...

128x128oregonpapa
2channel8 ...

You should be good to go. The PHT's come as a pair. Try one on your head shell, and the other one on either the junction box where the RCA jacks go into the turntable. If you don't have a junction box, then try the second one on either the power cord where it goes into the turntable or on the turntable motor itself. I've read reviews where they make for an improvement in all of those places.  Some rave reviews by the way. 

Please report your results here. The PHT's are on my bucket list. 

OP
For those SR fans out there or others interested in the graphene technology I just posted about my experiences with the new Powercell 12UEFs -- another great application of this technology I think
Appreciate this thread is old, but i followed this and the Blue fuse, so it was oregonpapa who got me to bite the bullet, try the blue fuses (everything he described) and recently the SR Atmosphere Level 1 Power cable ~ $1000.

First the good, yes the power cable was as per this thread, a big step up, but sadly that has been ruined, how.

I purchased a 3 PIN UK version which SR advertise, their moto being "NEVER COMPROMISE", so imagine my horror when it arrived with a $2 UK plug fitted, the type folk use for kettles.

Took make matters worse i contact SR and even got a response forwarded from Ted basically saying tough, thats all we offer, if you want to buy a better plug and send it back we can re terminate.

So i pay $1000 for a cable and am then expected to fork out another $150 on a Plug and then also the shipping back to the USA.

What infuriated me most was the SR response.

I also explained the heat shrink was applied over the mating plug surface, meaning the plug could not even connect safely without cutting it back.

So all in all SR products, i cannot deny are great, but frankly the customer service and attitude of Ted Denney leaves me shocked.

"NEVER COMPROMISE" is Ted motto, telling me it is economics of scale, not worth the effort, then why bother DO NOT OFFER A UK SPEC CABLE IF YOU CANNOT BE ARSED.

I own a number of Blue Fuses and also MIG2.0, intent was after the power cable, to add the SR Atmosphere Ethernet, but as good as the products are the attitude SUCKS.

Update;

Early this year I upgraded my SR Black power cable for the newer Synergistic Research Atmosphere 3 power cable on my VAC amp. Huge smile.