Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Hi Frank,
That's been my philosophy as well,  getting the most  potential from your current components.  It has been very enjoyable  and educational and my system has certainly responded.  You have definitely extracted significant improvements in your tweaking endeavors. 
Charles 
Hi John,
7th game that goes into extra innings who could ask for more.  It can be said without hyperbole that both teams battled and gave their all. Supremely competitive World Series,  no shame for the  Indians. 
Charles 
I am looking to replace stock fuses with SR Blacks in my system.  I was thinking of ordering fuses with higher current rating than installed stock fuses for two reasons:  first, I understand that they could blow at a different threshold than stock fuses and are expensive to replace, and second that I have heard that higher current rated fuses sound better, which would make sense due to their higher current carrying capacity.  I wanted to ask people on this thread your thoughts and experience with this.  Typically, how much higher rating do you replace the stock fuses with?  eg, my Amp (ML27.5) uses 10A fuse, would you replace that with a 12A or 15A?  Any thoughts on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
Hi alexa6404,

My experience is that the SR Black fuses are delicate. I went with a 2 amp vs a 1 amp on my Ayre preamp’s power supply after the 1 amp blew. I have used boutique fuses for many years and this is the first one that I ever had one blow. Due to the length of time it takes for a new SR black fuse to settle in, I can’t say for sure that the higher rated fuse sounds better, but I am confident that it does not sound worse.

Can’t speak to the advisability of using a fuse with a higher rating than spec’d by the mfr. Perhaps almarg will weigh in on this?

Best to you alexa6404,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. Yes, as you found and as several others have reported earlier in the thread in appears that the SR Blacks blow a bit more readily than at least most stock and boutique fuses having the same ratings. And I agree that if there would be any sonic differences at all between SR Black fuses having somewhat different current ratings they would most likely be in favor of the fuse having the higher current rating (which presumably would have slightly less resistance and slightly less fluctuation in resistance as a function of variations in the current being drawn through it, although both parameters could very well be too small to be significant with either fuse).

Also, I would expect that the current rating of the stock fuse in most components is determined by the designer somewhat imprecisely, by simply multiplying the nominal current draw of the component by a somewhat arbitrarily chosen factor (while also taking into account surges that occur at turn-on), as in general there is probably no need for a great deal of precision in that determination. That being one of the reasons why I would expect that most fault conditions that might arise in a component and require the fuse to blow would result in a much higher current draw than the rating of the stock fuse, and a fuse with a somewhat higher rating than stock but the same fast blow/slow blow characteristic would therefore seem very likely to provide adequate protection.

So in Alexa6404’s case the risk of unnecessarily blowing an expensive 10 amp fuse would seem to outweigh the risk that secondary damage might result from a fault which causes a current draw of just a few amps more than that but does not cause a higher rated fuse to blow.

The manufacturer might see it differently, of course, because their interest is presumably in minimizing warranty claims and/or repair costs, but that’s how I see it. Although I suppose that there could be some manufacturers who might use the substitution of a fuse having a higher than stock current rating, if they became aware of it, as an excuse to invalidate warranty coverage of a repair that might become necessary for unrelated reasons.

As to deciding between the 12 amp and 15 amp ratings, my guess is no better than anyone else’s, but FWIW I suppose I’d go with 12.

Best regards,

-- Al