Supratek vs. Thor?

Hi guys,
I own and love a Supratek Syrah. Howver I've notice quite a few Thor TA100 preamps on here lately at astonishing prices for an $8K preamp. So just wondering has anyone compared the two? I know the Thor has gotten some raves in the press and the Supratek has gotten some raves here, and rightly so. Is the Thor legit, or is it another case of press hype. And would it be a step down or sideways versus up to go from a Syrah to a Thor? The rest of the system, Tube Tech CD64 player, Cary 300B monos, Alon Lotus speakers. Thanks in advance.And have a happy Thanksgiving!
128x128jond

Showing 1 response by 711smilin

I have never heard the Supratech, but, I did compare the Thor TA 1000 mk ii, to the Exemplar Exception, and felt the exception bettered it in transparancy, bass, sounstage, and listenability. The Exception is gorgeous, and is only a line stage. You should really check it out, cause at the price point it cannot be beat. I use a pair of E1800CC Amperex PW rated at 10,000 hours, so tubes are not an issue. I am also waiting for my new Exception to be completed with siltech wiring, and REMOTE control, which is wonderful for when the wife is yelling, TURN IT DOWN.