Subwoofer xLr connection

I own a pair of Martin Logan Dynamo 1100XL subwoofers which include xLr input connectors. Can I connect the fully differential balanced outputs from a pleamplifier to the xLr input of the subwoofers?

alanpiga

@atmasphere ​​@alanpiga - According to the manual, the 1000X assumes that line level and XLR inputs are going to come from the LFE output of a home theater processor and the internal crossover is bypassed. So some form of external bass management IS required if using this input. 

The speaker level inputs, on the other hand, do use the built in crossover, so you might just want to connect it this way. 

If you really want to use the line level input (either RCA or XLR), then you will need a preamp (or processor) that includes a subwoofer crossover. The ones that @audiorusty mentioned are a good place to start. I have a Danville Signal dspNexus that I've been playing with. This will handle what you are looking for, but is primarily designed for full active crossovers (i.e., replacing the passive crossovers in your speakers and using separate amps for each frequency band). It is quite powerful though. 

According to the manual, the 1000X assumes that line level and XLR inputs are going to come from the LFE output of a home theater processor and the internal crossover is bypassed. So some form of external bass management IS required if using this input. 

@jaytor Hm. Seems a real shame to have all that control thru a bluetooth app and then throw it away just because a hardwired input is used. Doesn't make sense. 

@jaytor Hm. Seems a real shame to have all that control thru a bluetooth app and then throw it away just because a hardwired input is used. Doesn't make sense. 

@atmasphere - Agreed. Poor design choice if you ask me.

I’d rather have choices. In this case because of noise that balanced circuits work better at eliminating. And, there is also the probability that all those apps are not that good. I don’t want to find myself with the constant need of trading equipment.