Subwoofer

Can anyone if possible answer why my subwoofer goes into stand by mode all the time after just a few minutes of playing  if the song is base heavy its ok movies are better in paticular new films but i find myself always adjusting the gain up and down its a Sunfire True Subwoofer MK IV have mains center and rears set at 90 hz as the sub as well should i open the hz on the sub all the way but it gets to boomy i like tight tight bass at lowest db.I know this is a hard question to answer is it possible the sub itself is just getting old using old Sony ES 9000 for pre/pro. Thanx for the rookie question.😀.

801d

My Sunfire use to do that until I had Bill F rebuild it and adjust the threshold to a lower level. Cost about $260, so you might want to consider a new subwoofer. Best wishes 

If your sub falls into standby when set to cross over at 90Hz, then either you are playing bass-shy sources or the sub is malfunctioning. Sub crossover is generally set much lower, as any quality main speakers will roll off well below that point. Play something bass-heavy and it should boom unpleasantly with sub at 90Hz. If it does, that's a good sign. So then try 60Hz, and if it still booms, go down to 50Hz.

+1 for what Hickamore said. 
For what it’s worth, Sunfire subs are outstanding performers and punch way above their size. Would be worth the $260 to have it repaired. Seems a small price to pay… 

From my experience, subs that have auto on without a hard on/off switch are pain because thats what they do: shut of in the middle of a listening session because there is no bass for an extended period: No matter how much you fiddle with settings an auto on sub almost always turns off unless you are listening to hard rock. Most of time you would have to use a high crossover setting that might not blend well with your speakers. The few auto on subs that I have owned have been my least favorite.