Sub $1000 DAC with AKM chip

Hi 

I don’t wish to start a heated debate but I’m looking for a DAC for my daughters system. Does anyone have a recommendation for an under $1000 DAC that uses an AKM chip? I have a Topping D90 with AKM that I like. It’s not my endgame DAC but it is substantially better than many I have tried before. I know that many like ESS, Burr Brown, Wolfson etc, but I would prefer to just hear opinions about AKM and I’d also like to stay away from a discussion about streamers (I’m also considering a Bluesound Node)…Hell, I might even get her an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt since she is so iPhone-centric. She recently voiced her dissatisfaction with low fidelity and wants to hear music from better equipment so I’m giving her one of my integrated tube amps and a set of speakers. I don’t want to go nuts on this since she may ultimately find that hifi is not really as appealing as she imagined.

thanks all for your replies 

ccogopher

Showing 1 response by 1happyman

I recently purchased an Eversolo A8 streamer that has the latest AKM Velvet chips.  I also have a Gustard R26 (R2R) that I have comparing the two.

I too like the sound of AKM having owned the E30 prior to the Gustard R26.

I must say, the Gustard R26 and the new Velvet AKM 4191EQ, AK4499EX chips are very close. I could easily live with either for the long term.

I would defintley lean toward the Gishelli at that price.