Streaming network issues - need a geek

I have a DSL modem (best I can do in this rural location) and a Netgear Nighthawk router connected to the modem via ethernet. I learned that the router is restricting bandwidth to attached devices, so I ran a second ethernet cable directly from the modem to the streamer (NuPrime Stream9) to get full bandwidth. But for a number of reasons I have to use WiFi on the router, not the modem, and can't have WiFi active on both at the same time.

So as a result my iPad and the NuPrime software (connected to the router) can't see the streamer (connected to the modem) to control it, apparently because this situation appears as two separate networks.

Surely there is a way around this by changing network settings in the router, but I am not a geek and need help as to what to change and what to change it to. Anyone?

markmuse

Hi, I have little effort to answer your question.

Make sure your browser is up-to-date, too - head to the settings menu and check for any updates, then install them and restart your browser. Browser extensions can create slowdown on web pages, including for video streaming services. For more detail also see https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/streaming-network-issues-10eloto-need-a-geek

Thanks

Thanks @eranbuell, but this is not a browser issue. I'm not streaming from a computer. If you mean the NuPrime software, I am having the same issue with mconnectPlayer HD streaming to the network card in my Bricasti DAC. Both work fine when they are on the same leg of the network (controlling software/iPad and streamer), but for unrelated reasons I can't do that. 

What model is the router? If relatively new, you may have customer service available from Netgear for free. Their paid service, I'd be hesitant about. The one time I tried it, it cost me to have them tell me to reset everything back to default (which didn't help).

Because network addresses are assigned by the router, you’ll never be able to run a cable directly from the modem and use the router at the same time, as you noted. Also, the router provides Network Address Translation, which is a safety measure you’d best not do without.

It would be unusual for a router to restrict speeds unless specifically configured for that. Cables could be a problem. I’d suggest using decent cables -- not "audiophile" Ethernet cables -- that are Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 7. Try swapping cables, as they do fail from time to time

After making changes, sometimes it helps to shut off modem and router and let them boot up again.

That’s about all I know. There is a Small Net Builder’s forum available online where you can get more free advice. Like the free advice anywhere (including mine), it might be good, bad, or indifferent.