Streaming Atmos on Netflix vs BluRay

This might be a total newbie question but I'm a 2 channel guy who's dabbling in Atmos.  I do have a 4.2.4 (no center) system and really enjoy what I hear on Netflix, Disney +, etc..  How much better would a 4k bluray be?

What am I missing by streaming Atmos and whatever other formats vs having an actual disc?
dtximages

Showing 7 responses by mahler123

I can’t speak to Atmos, as I have two 5.1 systems in my home.  However I lately was streaming a pair of shows while awaiting the second hand Blue Rays that I had ordered.  When the Blue Raysarrived they were definitely fuller and more immersive than the Netflix stream
It gets better yet with Blu Ray vs DVD.  Your point is taken, though that the convenience of streaming and the relatively good quality will satisfy most people
I don’t see why music streaming has to be better than CD, if you are using the same DAC and comparing equivalently priced streamer vs CD transport. Both CD and streamers are sending 1s and 0s to a DAC.  And then there is the variable of Internet quality, such as your router, your local bandwidth, etc, not an issue with physical media.
The latter is even more important with video.  With everyone streaming Netflix, the ISP tend to limit the content down the pike, so it shouldn’t surprise you that a Blu Ray will best streaming 
I am not sure that is a reasonable expectation currently.  I am not a IT person but I would think that it has to be harder to incorporate information in a stream, and have it successfully decoded at the other end, than with physical media.  Especially with the pandemic, with everyone getting their entertainment at home, with Zoom being the means of communication for all schools and workplaces, the demands on the ISP must have increased several fold in the past year unexpectedly, and it wouldn't surprise me if all providers have throttled back a bit on bandwidth.
   Physical media still have the edge, imo, but can't beat streaming for ease of use
I tend to stream music that I don't have on CD, so it's hard to make direct comparisons, and then there are the equipment variables--are your streamer and CD transport roughly comparable in price?  are you using the same DAC for both?--so who knows?  Qobuz can sound very good, but at least with CDs there aren't issues with ISP controlling bandwidth, and recordings suddenly becoming unavailable, as one of my Qobuz favorites has suddenly disappeared
I try to get as many discs from our library as possible.  That can mean a wait of a few weeks which doesn't work for impulse buying.  And there are other disc rental options such as Redbox, and the used lp stores here have video sections as well.  Does Netflix still offer the streaming plan combined with disc rental?
btw, your whole question about CDs..you didn't address the bandwidth issue in my previous post.  At least with your own CDs you control whether or not compression is being added, etc.  And no, CDs aren't streaming.  A CDP extracts 1s and 0s from aspiring disc and sends them to a DAC.  Streaming is getting content from a third party that then uses your ISP to send those bits to your device.  If the third party or the ISP alters that stream, intentionally or otherwise, not much the user can do about it