Streamers under $1500

Any good streamers advice? I currently use Sonos Connect modded by Wyred4Sound. I am looking for better sound quality and good software like Sonos.

I was looking at the PS Audio Airlense when it was on sale, has anyone heard this one?

romad

Showing 5 responses by jbuhl

I still have and enjoy my Wyred4 Sonos in office system

Yep I got an ancient ZP90 W4S moded unit on a secondary system as a ROON endpoint. Picked up a used Nordhost  Purple Flare  Power cord and Audioquest Carbon digital interconnect for it years ago. I think it sounds purdy good for what I have invested in it and I have got a bunch of milage out of it.

The Airlense needs some type of streaming server like ROON ,DLNA (e.g.Adirvana) ,Tidal Connect.

Bryston BDP-2 can be found for <$1k, BDP-3 for ~$1.8K But I doubt your gonna like the software interface as its purdy spartan.

Que the Blue Sound Node recommendations to start flowing in.

What ever you do let us know how it compares head to head with the W4S moded Sonos.

I will have to chime in again. Although I don’t have any direct experience with the Cambridge Audio streaming solution, I did recommend the CA integrated to a friend. He can bluetooth to it and use a hard wired usb from his iPAD. I sold him a pair of B&W 600 series speakers to go along with it. He was so pleased with the sound he ordered a CA CD player to go along with it.  So I think their gear is solid and right up there with the best buck bang solutions in the industry.

Frankly I dont get the Wiim recommendations. I can see it for entry level or secondary systems but that is not what the OP ask for. He already has a purdy solid streaming device and he ask to move up.

@romad 

Nice that you got satisfaction out of the Sonos device.   They dont get the consideration they deserve around here. 

If you decide to tinker and have yet to check out ROON fire up a server on a PC/Mac. Should see the SONOS strait away on your network.  Don't worry about SQ just check on the interface and see what you think.