Streamer only

I am not tech savvy and I have a DAC already in my integrated amp.I just wanted to try streaming. I would like to use Qobuz and need to purchase a streamer. I don’t need the dac included within the unit. I hate to pay a large amount for a unit that has a high quality DAC included. Are there any high quality streamers where I am not paying for the higher quality DAC included in the unit? My system is a Levinson 585 and Acendo C8 R speakers. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xpal

I've had several including my PC and MAC as a source (my first source). I've tried some ChiFi (Suncos @ $500) and a sound card plugged into my first decent DAC (PS Audio Perfect Wave).  I got talked into a PS Audio AirLens and have been very happy with it. It's been trouble free unlike my former purchases. 

I think the reason it sounds so good is it's isolation technology. From their website which Audiogoon won't allow links to:

Unfortunately, connecting your sensitive DAC to the noise generated by computers, routers, NAS, local networks, and modems via either WiFi or Ethernet cable is not a great-sounding solution to bringing high-performance audio into your listening environment. The PS Audio AirLens™ completely eliminates the problems of noise, jitter, and EMI influences through complete galvanic isolation and perfect reclocking of the digital audio signal. You’ve not yet heard how great streaming can sound until you experience audio through the AirLens.

Prices have dropped to $1,600 with a free 30 day return policy if you don't like it.  

So far I'm really happy with it. However because the technology obeys Moors Law you can expect 2X the quality at 1/2 the price in 18 months or so.

jallan

248 posts

Aurender N100H are available used for $1200 or so on this site and others. My own ears provide “anecdotal “ evidence of a profound increase in sound quality above using my Mac laptop as a streamer. The difference is stark. I would recommend this as your $1000 solution .

Heyya @jallan which gen is that Mac laptop? There are reported audio issues with certain M-gen(s) processors. Beyond smartphones I absolutely eschew the Mac OS so have no personal experience in that particular regard.

Very well could be a real life experience, whatchya describe. That’s the discrepancy between individual/personal experience and demonstrated pattern through controlled investigation.

In any case, if OP already has a Mac (or PC), tries it first, then gets a $1K USD streamer and perceives the latter as better, where exactly does the issue lay? 😉

Node 2i is an excellent product but it’s really designed to be used with its analog outputs. It will likely beat everything in its price category especially given its fantastic app. A pleasure to use, speaking from experience. However, if you can stretch your budget by 200 bucks for a used entry level USB based Aurender, it will be a major jump up in performance without a doubt. Its app is also proven to work well. The beauty about Aurneder is that its software and hardware built together in the same factory, a huge advantage and their entry level products are just as well engineered as their higher priced products. That should put you on a good path in your journey to music appreciation.  

ifi makes a streamer that is in the $300 range that’s excellent, and will give you enough of a savings to purchase a nice ethernet cable and or usb cable to round out a really high performing unit for very little money. I have one mated with their dac in one of my vintage systems and I’m astounded by it’s performance for the money. IMO it out performs the Node. Hope this helps.