Streamer/DAC

Hello guys, man do I enjoy my McIntosh system, but looking for a minor/major upgrade in my streamer.  Hopefully, you guys can help me out

I’ve commented in this forum a few times before. Please, any negativity towards my system/Layout can you keep it to yourself 

Thank you very much for that.

I have:

Mcintosh C53, pair of McIntosh 601’s, pair Martin Logan Renaissance 15a’s and a Bluesound node 2

I Don’t really want to invest in a new DAC.  I think the one in my McIntosh C53 is adequate enough  

Question is, if I invest in a new streamer can I expect major improvements in my sound, and if so what would you recommend 

preslisa64
Post removed 

There are a million different options  and yes, an upgrade to your digital front end will improve things.  There are two approaches.  

1. Streamer - like the Bluesound and usually relies on its own software platform.  Lumin and several others take this approach.  You typically login to your streaming service and it usually can organize and access local files.  

2.  Server/Player - This takes the task of interfacing with the Web and managing local files and then unfolding/decompressing them as two completely separate and distinct jobs.  This is often accomplished with third party software like Roon, Squeeze or DLNA/UPnP software like Foobar or JRiver.  

The streamer approach tends to be less expensive and packs a lot of processing power into one box.  The local software interfaces with the web and unfolds or decompresses the files in real time. 

The server/player approach basically says different amounts of processing power are are required for different tasks.  Interfacing with the web and managing local files is processor intensive.  Unfolding/decompressing the files is not and a less powerful processor is preferable.  

And then some servers just assign both tasks to the same computer and you tend to get varying performance with different software solutions.  The server solution is most popular with Roon users as Roon is decidedly better when the tasks are split onto two devices.  

So basically, as you think about an upgrade, do you want to move to a manufacturers proprietary software?  Nothing wrong with this at all as these guys know there stuff.  You see that with Blue OS.  Or do you want to move to a 3rd Party software like Roon which gives you lots of flexibility across devices in the future?

I am a Roon user and am in the server/player camp.    A good server/player solution will run just under $4K (Roon Nucleus and Bricasti M5) and get you started with Roon. Roon is what was right for me.  

The right solution is the one that make sense to you, meets your space and aesthetic needs and delivers sound you think is great.  You are likely to get a bunch of other suggestions.  I would stop and think about what makes sense to you and works for you.  Then make a choice.  

Thanks Verdanaudio

a streamer  seems the best route to take. Especially, for me. Im not familiar server/player approach nor do I technically understand it and it seems like a lot of work.
I just want to buy something, plug it in, and Bamn, I’m happy. lol

I don’t know if this makes a difference but I only stream music

So, any additional suggestions

Depends on budget.  Lumin U1 would be what I would look at.  There software is good and it has the right feature set.